Recommendation for Mesquite cookie finish in two stages?

Laser-cutting an 18-20" live edge mesquite cookie for use as a wedding cake platter later this month. The buyer requested leaving bark on for wedding, and then finishing without bark after wedding. Any recommendations on how to seal for use for wedding(cake will set directly on it), and still be able to finish after removing bark post-wedding without sanding/messing up laser engraving?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Salad bowl finish would be idea for food contact surfaces. It will be a non-toxic, clear, glossy finish and you can blend the edge finish in after the wedding with minimal sanding. You could even use it to seal the live edge before the wedding.

3 Likes

Mesquite bark is pretty good about staying on, but i would still prefer something to help it.

You can try a spray-on Shellac. It is food safe, brings out the color, and looks pretty good. I believe it would help a little to protect the bark. You can oil the board first for a deeper finish.
When you refinish after the event, you can remove the shellac with alcohol, sand, and re-oil.

For an alternative:
You could also tape off the board and use a lacquer (food safe enough) or epoxy (food safe) on the bark. This would be stronger in protecting the live edge.

Share pictures!

http://www.westbaywoodturners.com/tutorial/food_safe_finishes.html

2 Likes

This is also my recommendation. Food safe, looks good and easy to apply.

1 Like

Thank you! A combination of the oil finish on the surface and shellac on the bark sounds like the solution Iā€™m looking for.

Will definitely post a picture! Thank you for the help!

1 Like