Recommendation: Engine cleaning

Do the dye pen test after it has been tanked. Parts need to be very clean. If it passes, it’s already clean and you know the crack wasn’t obscured. If it fails, you know the cleaning made sure you found it.

It sounds like the only failure mode you are really worried about is the leak, which pretty much limits it to:

• Cracked Head
  • Cracked Block
  • Warped Block or Head, which if no cracks in the above, you would have surfaced as part of the rebuild and taken care of.
  • Blown Head Gasket, which could be due to unequal tightening over time or warped Head/Block which above would take care of or when put back together.

If you weren’t having any other problems that would cause you to suspect a problem with crank or cam is damaged - then probably wouldn’t spend money to have them checked. Just me, but unless the journals are in really good shape, I’d have it reground to first oversize bearings.

The cylinder bore, if not scored, and within Original spec’s and pistons in good shape, I’d ridge ream off any step (makes sure new rings can’t hit something), rehone, and rering. If out of spec on bore, go to first oversize with new pistons (I’ve never had a resleevable engine I’ve rebuilt)). If there was some warpage on block requiring resurfacing, personally, I’d go to first oversize on bore to ensure they are straight and true.

Not sure what parts would cost, but Tom knows a great place to get those. You’d be way under the $3,500 and know the engine was put back together correctly. If the cam needs a regrind, this gives you an opportunity to “Tweak” the cam with a different profile for more high end, low end, economy mode, etc. I went crazy on one engine - added almost 3,000 rpm to top end, but wouldn’t idle below about 1,800 rpm (having the flywheel weight almost cut in half contributed to that - but rev’d fast)

The savings come from all the labor you are doing. I’ve replaced oil pumps at rebuild just becuase it’s out in the open and visible. But you can inspect them for wear also, if within spec (but not close to the limit) then you can reuse it).

If you can: GET A FACTORY MANUAL. Will set you back around $100 but is worth every penny and will save you money. I’ve enjoyed doing rebuilds, there’s great satisfaction, when you turn the key, it rotates a few times and kicks over. Plus you save some serious dollars and get a real education on the engine.

I’ve got several manuals covering restoration and maintenance, and with my Patreon subscription, access to a guy that knows a ton about Mini engines and he’ll be walking me through anything that pops up. So I just need to sort a place to get the block and head cleaned for now, then I’ll follow up on the rest as I go. Machining engine bits is where my knowledge just does not exist at all, so I’ll post up here with updates as needed.

1 Like

Something to keep in mind is milling the head, decking the block and over boring all contribute to raising the mechanical compression ratio. A thicker head gasket can compensate up to a point.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ll need to take sure it’s not too much out of flat, I would need a new head at a certain threshold. I imagine I might be able to check for flat with the tools we’ve got on hand in the machine shop

It’s been EONS since I used them, so this is hardly an endorsement, but in my time we used Automotive Machine in Ft. Worth, TX as our machine shop of choice for “imports”, and we specifically used them for tanking engine parts and measurements (as well as the occasional actual machine work we didn’t like or couldn’t handle, like valve guide replacement).
I think this is they
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Automotive-Machine-Supply/148602211825953
The address is approximately right…

2 Likes

This is a need if you plan to do any extensive amount of work on a car.

1 Like

I have several and they’ve been super invaluable for working on things so far and performing general maintenance. The engine is the biggest project to date for me, so posting here for wisdom and advice in addition to those.

2 Likes

This shop will apparently work with you as far as just vatting and or decking your head to as much as you want to do (or not do ) yourself, and they sound reasonable

http://enginesxtreme.com/index.html

2 Likes

I’ll look into them immediately, thank you! I don’t know where to start looking for places like this so suggestions like these really do help!

1 Like

are you planning on removing head? If so when?
Yes this is a hint…my preference is a Sunday late afternoon or evening

3 Likes

I plan on separating the head/block/gearbox this weekend now that I have my flywheel puller. Sunday afternoon works for me :+1: I’ll set a reminder. Beyond separating those bits though, I plan to slowly document, label, and sort everything as I strip everything at home. I can’t transport an entire engine home in my car, but I can if it’s in smaller pieces :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Pictures pictures pictures.

3 Likes

Can you change it to Saturday afternoon after 5pm?
I just got smoozed into helping a friend out in Tyler on Sunday

1 Like

You asked for “pictures” !

David…notice anything out of the norm here? (This is the shop I’ll be at Sunday)

3 Likes

If they are photos of the same axle the caliper is reversed back to front, or vice versa depending on order photo taken. Not familiar enough with Porsche to know which is correct.

Not sure what black thing protruding from the axle center in the upper photo, I assume it’s some special tool, gawd knows VW-Audi-Porsche has enough of them, and not some Mad Max hub extension that deploys knives.

1 Like

image :yum:

EDIT: ERMIGAHD! Somebody lost the lug bolts!11!

1 Like

Do you see any wheel nuts?

What the Moon Walkers call “lug nuts”?

The “black thing” is the center lock socket that can withstand the required 450 pound feet of torque applied
Not available at Horror Freight.
That set of forged wheels and tires was just shy of 10k

1 Like

I saw the center locking hub. It didn’t look “wrong” - there aren’t lug nuts. Curious what attaches to tool, it looks smooth, how is it gripped to apply the torque? Does it attach to the center and the outer rotate like that Cam Sprocket tool on the VW crankshaft?

But still curious, why are rotors in different positions, are they front and rear axles … that was the most obvious thing to me, assumed I was being shown same axle and asked what difference was. Couldn’t imagine them being mounted backwards like that (knew it wasn’t DMS floor too clean)

1 Like

Can do. Saturday is preferable, I was just trying to be flexible lol. See you then

1 Like