Rebuilding a zero turn lawnmower

I have a 2005 JohnDeere zero turn commercial mower model 757 with 60" deck that has not been used for several years sitting there. I would like to rebuild it if possible. Anyone at DMS with knowledge of working on this type of machine?
It has good frame and deck. I am mostly concerned about the hydraulics system on this machine. Anyone knows how to rebuild the hydraulics system?
I will put a new engine or rebuilt engine on it (25 HP or more, horizontal shaft).
Anyone knows of where to get used parts for it (sort of like junkyard of lawn mowers)?

2 Likes

Hydraulics, I’m not super familiar with. Small engines I am familiar with. Just curious why rebuild or replace? Is this a known bad engine?

If you are referring to the transmission, the few ZTRs I’ve touched didn’t use hydraulics in the transmission/turning, they had this fun mechanical dual-cone slip system.

Those transmissions are generally proprietary to the manufacturer. I have no idea how difficult it would be to obtain parts from the JD supply system.

If you are referring to generic hydraulics (pump, hoses, all that), it’s not too difficult. Some fundamental “dealing with hydraulics” safety precautions should be taken, of course.

Any chance of sourcing a “shop manual” from eBay or similar?

The engine is missing. Someone messed it up really bad.

That’s about all I can contribute.

This machine has 2 hydraulic pumps, and 2 hydraulic wheel drives, one for each side, all fed by a large hydraulic fluid tank.
I am wanting to rebuild them because the pumps and motors are very expensive new.
I have looked at some youtube videos and I know enough to be dangerous. I was hoping someone in DMS community has done this before or knows about it and can help so I do not mess up a set of expensive parts.
I think it would very educational if we could get a few people together and do the project hands on with supervision from someone that knows how its done.
I also thought about converting the whole machine (wheel drives and blade drives) to electric motors. I don’t know how expensive that can get, but it would be a cool project. I might post it on electronics board to see if there are any interested people to explore this. I am sure there are plenty people at DMS that know about electric motors and the electronics to drive it (Pi, Arduino, etc).

https://www.machinerypete.com/details/lawn-and-garden/2005/john-deere/757/19591989

Replacement cost is 3k

Is the goal to save money or just to see if it can be done?

I have a buddy that’s a professional mechanic at toro I could ask him if you would like.

If the hydraulic hoses weren’t cut, exposing pump/motor internals to the elements, you could possibly just replace shaft seals and call it good. That should be a relatively quick and inexpensive rebuild.

Total rebuilds of pumps and motors are basically bust apart, clean, new gaskets’n’seals, reassemble. They’re built in layers. Before disassembly, mark the layers so that you stack them exactly the same way they came from the factory. In the Army we punched them leaving dimple marks in the steel.

one dot top of first plate, two dots bottom of first plate.
two dots top of second plate, three dots bottom of second plate.
…

1 Like

I can’t be helpful, but I’ll thank you for leading me to look up hydrostatic motors. I’ve held an inkling of how they work, but never really bothered looking into them at all. Turns out, they’re pretty interesting. This seems like a pretty nice intro video for total noobies like me…