Random things being left in laser. Being tossed tonight

It’s been a pretty big issue lately that people keep leaving things whether it’s remaining scrap, trash, or just random stuff in the laser area.

Nothing should be being stored in the laser area without my express permission, and especially well not labeled or named.

After about 7:00 p.m. Tonight I will be going through and cleaning up the area, If you have things left here that you do not want tossed, you better message me ASAP.

7 Likes

We found that having the wall-mounted TV monitor up and running in Laser 24/7, with messages and reminders about what was expected of Users when working there really helped to set expectations and improve behavior. Just a perpetually running .PPT slideshow. We also included photo images of members’ Laser creations, to inspire others.

It was very well received by the members, and it reinforced good Laser usage and clean-up practices in the Laser area.

2 Likes

Is the area against the wall by the door the ‘scrap’ area now like there used to be on the bottom level of the shelf/table next to the door? I noticed people seemed to be leaving stuff there which is nice if you need a quick test piece, but I wasn’t sure if that was the formal place

It really shouldn’t be. We used to have a scrap pile, but then people started abusing it and just throwing their useless leftover scraps there so we removed the table and it’s not meant for anything other than class materials now.

A variation of it will be coming back soon ish. I’m not as worried about the stuff by the door, but I’m really tired of people leaving scraps and random junk laying around the area… Part of using the lasers and your responsibilities are to clean up after yourselves. (Not you specifically necessarily but in general)

To my knowledge, most information now about Laser appears to be conveyed via tribal knowledge, with not a lot of clearly documented/displayed expectations about how the Laser area functions; where scrap ‘is/should be’, where the cleaning supplies are, etc.

Yeah, that’s very very true. I found like seven different sets of rules when I became chair, I’ve been slowly whittling away trying to get them into one document.

I’ve got some small posters that I’m going to be printing out and putting up on the plywood wall and some other things, to clarify a couple rules and point out some cleaning/etc tips.

2 Likes

Let me know if you want any historical knowledge transfer. I’m sure @heyheymama and I can spare an hour to share what we learned works, and what doesn’t.

Hey there! Your plan to print and display small posters is fantastic! I’d be delighted to bring my expertise to help design and create these signs. Having worked as a designer in sign shops for a decade, along with additional experience as a freelance artist, I believe we can make these visuals both eye-catching and informative. Plus, the chance to use the tools at the space is an exciting prospect. Let’s collaborate to make these signs truly stand out!

1 Like