Raku firing January 14, 2024

Dallas Makerspace Raku firing info!

Hi y’all! :wave: it’s Jamie. The next raku firing is scheduled for January 14 3:00pm, hosted by Conor from Trinity Ceramics at his house nearby in farmers branch.

As usual it is a pot luck and this one is going to be pretty cold, as is desirable for the raku events.

To be in the class, send the $40 via Venmo to Conor. Once you’ve sent it, confirm with the group here or in the text. This holds your place for the firing.

If you are unable to make it to this one, let us know as soon as possible, we have to have at least 8 people to make the class.

We have bought the box of Raku clay and it is in the brown box under the middle cabinet here:

Everyone gets 5 pounds. If you would like to use your own medium-fire clay, you can totally do that too, keep in mind that more grog will make it less likely to crack in the firing.

I will be at the space Friday the 29th 6:45-9pm to throw pieces for this event.

We will have a raku glaze pregame at DMS in the ceramics space at 1pm on the 14th before heading over to Conor’s. If you have a raku glaze, bring it to share, and try out other’s glazes too.

:star:Your pieces will need to have gone through bisque by the 14th. :star:I will be doing two kiln loads specifically for raku on Jan 7 and Jan 11th, but be aware your pieces must me completely dry if you are planning on waiting that long to put them on the shelf. In winter things dry much slower at the space, so keep this in mind when planning your creating date.

Excited to create with y’all! :smile:

If you need tips or anything, reach out and I can meet with you, or come throw with me at the space Friday the 29th at 6:45pm. That’s all for now!

7 Likes