Raise the antenna!

Let’s get our HF antenna back up in the air and operational.

Details here: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2417

4 Likes

Can’t make it but wanted to mention link says “Registration for the event is closed.”

1 Like

I’m betting it’s in the approval limbo for the 48 (or whatever it is) hours from the time of submission…
That seems like a good enhancement to the calendar, to be more accurate about why registration isn’t available…

Will be working WhoFestDFW that weekend. Can’t make it.

I should be able to make it.

I’m in.

Much Thanks @zmetzing for coordinating and keeping the dream alive!

1 Like

Remember, folks, antenna work tomorrow starting at 10am!

Wish I could be there, but have family in town and we have overlapping plans.

Heading up soon - I expect I will be there about 10:15am - sorry for delay

1 Like

Running a bit late myself. Almost there.

1 Like

Success! Thanks in no small part to the efforts of @BenjaminGroves and @artg_dms, the antenna has been re-erected and the problem with the antenna auto-coupler has been resolved. The antenna and cinder blocks are now entirely on our roof.

The auto-coupler is not going anywhere:

Entire antenna, in all its glory:

6 Likes

@artg_dms be solving the problems.

5 Likes

My hubby and I came in while you were working there, I wish I
had known you were working on the antennae, He was a ham back
when he was in college

@krgrantham has done some great work on the BYOR antenna/power panel! I’ll quote his emails here:

Sorry, guys, this is very off topic, but David @Photomancer , this is what the top of the roof looks like.

1 Like

You can just post a link in the original thread that points back to a specific message or photo.

1 Like

well that’s gone circular…

Is there an extra coax run for the dual band 2m/440 antenna that’s been on the bench ?

That would be a good thing to have up on the roof when time permits.

We did not run coax for the 2m/440 antenna. I’d like to try mounting it above the drop ceiling, perhaps clamped to a girder, to minimize coax length (and, in turn, loss).

What kind of coax is the run to the roof and how long is it ?

I think the performance will be very poor at all elevations below the top of the building walls, simply because of the amount of rebar that’s usually in tilt wall construction.