Radius cutter for metal lathe?

Hey y’all, do we have anything to cut a radius, like a radius cutter or a ball cutter for the metal lathe?

Julian,

If you mean the ability to put a semisphere at the end of a cylinder or shaft, I haven’t seen anything like that at the makerspace. That might be a job for the Haas.

A ball cutter is on my list of projects to make for school this semester. Gonna be closer to the end of term like April.

There is an attachment on the table in the machine shop for making a concave cut. I don’t know if it works or not or if it even fits the lathe.

I have been researching this tool myself as well. It looks like a rotating post with a tool that could be mounted “internally” or “externally” could be made to do both internal and external radii.

Bob, would that be something the Lathe team would consider putting on its purchasing wish list? I don’t think this is the first time I’ve seen the request.

I believe that was an attachment for the Southbend Beast we had. Not sure if there is a way to modify for our machine or not. But adding a tool like for the lathe would be a definite plus in the new capabilities.

This is the best manufactured one I have found. Works with any lathe of moderate and above size.

http://www.omwcorp.com/large-radius.php

I have owned the smaller version and it works well; however, it takes some experience and skill to setup to get a good cut.

You can also accomplish this task manually using a dial indicator and some patience

1 Like

Patience my rear - go for the first one!

2 Likes

At $140, I’m right there with you.

2 Likes