Radioactive Source

does anyone have Americium from the old smoke detectors or another Alpha Source?

I have some sources but Iā€™ll need to locate them as they are stored awayā€¦somewhere. If I can put my hands on them quickly, Iā€™ll let you know.

If anyone else has a hookup, please give a shout, itā€™s possible mine are tricky to get to up in the attic!

1 Like

I have an NRO Staticmaster (1U400) source with a certificate that you are welcome to. https://www.statictek.com/shop/staticmaster-1u400/

Looking at the price Iā€™m glad it was given to me. I canā€™t make it to DMS before tomorrow.

Russell Ward

2 Likes

Are you sure didnā€™t mean ā€˜Muricium?

3 Likes

hello sir, Iā€™m not sure what this is, but im looking for small radioactive sources esp Alpha.

It is ā€œmeasuring only 1.02ā€³ x .93ā€³ x .24ā€³ thick.ā€ and is an alpha emitter.
Model P-2042 Specifications

• ISOTOPE: Polonium-210
  • MATERIAL: Stainless steel housing, aluminum grid
  • EMISSION: Alpha
  • ACTIVITY: 500 ĀµCi
  • Weight: 0.4 oz. (11.3g)
  • OPTIMUM RANGE: 0.5ā€³ to 1.5ā€³

Russell Ward

2 Likes

Thank you sir, I dont really know what that is, some kind of ionizer or is it like a discrete part for a smoke detector? Thank you for your kind donation!

If you go to the website https://www.statictek.com/shop/staticmaster-1u400/ they have the complete specs. This is a picture of the item. It is used as an ionizer that is used to remove static electricity in precision lab scales and such.

It is 1" square and 1/4" thick - smaller than the picture.

Russell Ward

1 Like

Problem with the polonium-210 staticmasters is their very short half-life of less than a year.

When was this unit manufactured?

I have had it for 2 or 3 years. I donā€™t see any date on it or the paper work with it. It may be weak because it caused the paper to turn brown in one spot but it didnā€™t turn the paper brown when I put it in its box next to a different spot on the paper the last time I put it in the box a couple of years ago.

Russell Ward

Polonium-210 has a half-life of approx 138 days.

Assuming best case of 2 years thatā€™s a little over 5 half lives, which would make it at a tad over 3% of the original source remaining.

Theyā€™re still cool pieces of gear to show household uses of radioactive materials.

1 Like

So whatā€™s interesting about this source is it lists a stainless housing with an aluminum grid window.

One alpha particle interacts with aluminum to transmute to one P-30 atom and release a free neutron. I would normally expect this to use a thin gold window or something else.

From the description on the website -
Note on Ion Source

All NRD ion sources are encapsulated in precious metals by means of a patented process. This results in a static eliminator which resists oxidation, solvents, heat, cold and vibration.

This has a precious metal (gold?) coating. It sounds like it maybe for other reasons, or not.

Russell Ward

While I see @Josh_Melnick as a consummate professional and always concerned about safety, the request and reference to smoke detectors brings to mind the Radioactive Boy Scout.

1 Like

And A young Sheldon Cooper.

2 Likes