Radio Antennas Install

Great call @HankCowdog! We will do that.

Right now we are thinking 2 or 3 coaxes up to the roof, with one lesser wire.

1 HF
1 VHF,UHF
potentially 1 for a satellite antenna
Wire for scanner

There are three coaxes going through that hole now. I have no problem running better coax through as that part will be painful to replace if we repurpose later.

I have no problems running some CAT up there too if it fits. Might be a loose end up top till we grow into it.

1 Like

I am currently working on printing out the parts for a SATNOGS for myself (satillite tracker). It looks about 8 hours of printing for the parts. They are sliced on my usb drive (and might be on my member share folder).

I also happen to have a short omni + ubiquity bullet (titanium) with PoE injector that I am not using if we wanted to mount itā€¦ The only problem with it is that there is no good way for the ubiquity to hide under the antennaā€™s connector cover. If we could fab something, Iā€™d gladly donate it (and run it) for the space (hamnet broadband).

@DHarris - what version of the Bullet do you have ? BBHN requires a Bullet M2 HP, mainly due to memory requirements as I recall. Mike Eber and I have talked about getting more nodes setup in the area. It would be cool to have one at the space.

It is the M2 Titaniumā€¦ It is on the approved list. I also have a rocket M2 (it has v3 firmware on it) in a box somewhere. It would need good antennas though. I only have some rubber ducks I took off an old router for it. I have 3 PoE injectors for the 2 radios.

Either one of them is free to be donated to the spaceā€™s radio stack.

The antenna on the bullet is the Engenius Outdoor High Gain 8dBi Omni Antenna. I was using it when I was helping test the links in Denton as a rover.

Hi Benjamin, Iā€™m the guy who walked up to you last Tuesday. I have an interest in this because I want to develop a high quality gravity mount for use on some sites up in Collin County, and my intent is to pick up welding to do that. Goal is to build a long life, sturdy galvanized mount similar to those I have experience with for cellular antenna installations.

1 Like

Hi John. Nice to meet you and welcome! Come and hang out. I am really impressed with the growth in this group over the past few months as subtle as it is.

Those following along on the antenna install, my next window of availability will be Saturday the 28th. Unfortunately, this also falls on the days of the Lemons Race. Lemons team has been working hard and deserves the support of the DMS community. I would rather see people at the race than making fancy knots on buckets.

I venture the opportunity for Antenna install will be March 7th. Which is kind of good as it gives plenty of time to prepare. We still need to work out some of our bill of materials and I still need to make purchases.

I have made a Google Spredsheet for organizing what we need to buy. The link is open for anyone to edit. Please feel free to contribute and my thanks!

1 Like

Does anyone know if it would be better to orient the antenna perpendicular to the high voltage lines that run above the front parking lot? They generate significant voltage in anything metal below them. Might we be creating a 60Hz voltage on our antenna system through inductive coupling?

1 Like

Just in case it helps as a reference point (Wm. Petefish under the lines with a fluorescent tube) :smiley:

4 Likes

Time to form a tinfoil hat committee ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Depends on the voltage in the linesā€¦ When I worked at The Associates as a consultant and walked across the parking lot in the rain with an umbrella, I had to be careful not to touch the metal parts of it or Iā€™d get zapped. You wouldnā€™t want a tinfoil hat under those conditions. :smiley:

3 Likes

Ok. How about a Faraday cage committee ? :smile:

We could mount them on Segwaysā€¦

1 Like

It probably wouldnā€™t be a bad idea to get out a multimeter (and some decent gloves) and make sure the voltage wonā€™t blow up any expensive radios after installationā€¦

I wonder if itā€™s possible to capacitively couple the transmission element and use an arc-gap to dispose of unwanted charge? I successfully did this in a 300mW APRS transmitter that got zapped while flying through a rain cloudā€¦ but not sure if thatā€™s feasible at higher outputs or for a receiver.

While I have a lot of the theory down, Iā€™m more or less a high-power RF newb :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Just so this thread is up to date, the install has been completed for the most part. We can now begin to look at upgrade potential. The only thing not done is hooking the receiver to an antenna and coax and running any extra wire we want before re sealing the hole completely.

I know someone had mentioned they wanted a network cable run to the roof if I am not mistaken? Anything else?

[quote=ā€œke5bud, post:53, topic:719ā€]
Anything else?
[/quote]r
How big is our hole, do we have conduit and gaskets and we using roxtec or are we using self expanding foam?

1 Like

We have some burial grade cat6, which was used for the Wi-Fi gear on the roof of the old space.

The ā€œcoaxā€ Brooks pulled out of the ceiling was actually the cat6 cable. Someone was apparently going to waste it on an internal run!

1 Like

Network cable to the roof would be good. Weā€™ve talked about getting a Broadband Hamnet node set up at the space.

1 Like

Iā€™ll ensure it gets run then, @dougemes no just cable going out and up. We will refill the hole with silicone most likely.

Hi Justin.

General plans are for 4 coax, 1 CAT network cable, 1 general wire (for scanner). Not knowing any better, think the hole is large enough?

Much Thanks

1 Like

Oh yeah easily we can fit more.