Radio Antennas Install

Do we have a plan for the radio antenna(s) install at the maker space yet? I definitely have vacation time coming up starting Friday, until the monday after Christmas and would like to do something productive with my time.

I also have a truck I can go get any materials with if we need to haul something.

I am taking things day-by-day with work right now. I may be freed up this Saturday for preparation of install. The 27th should be pretty definite for hoisting it all up there.

Without promising this Saturday, if anyone is interested and available please chime in - It will give me a barometer for what we can do.

Thanks All!

Yesterday went crazy on me (waiting on dealership work on my jetta, and fixing a computer for family as an “emergency” ate most of the day). The 27th I am definitely available to help with anything. Also, if you need anything done to the room this week, let me know.

I may be wrong but I think the problem they had with an antenna install on the roof was the roof is not that secure, there would have to be some kind of support structure.

Ah, nothing like in-family tech support!

Mitch, not sure which antenna or roof you have in mind.

The antenna mount on the last building was well sturdy and we will use that same structure for our center mast. I heard there was some old satellite dish up there.

Nevertheless, I think we have this in hand. I will start working on a gameplan. How does the 26th / 27th sound? I also have plenty of time after.

Thanks guys!

1 Like

There is a low-profile non-penetrating roof mount currently on the roof. I believe it has a digital TV antenna on it.

We can also deploy our old 10’ non-penetrating roof mount, which is what @BenjaminGroves was talking about.

1 Like

Im great on either the 26th or 27th.

In an effort to minimize conflicts I would like to get some information about the space requirements for your group. I understand that you have been given space in the room behind the HAAS machine. The computer for programming the tool paths is also assigned to that room. The reloading equipment is assigned to that room too. It appears that HAAS computer is the only thing assigned to that room that can be easily used in the room.

I am planning on building a work bench for the reloading equipment and would like to work with the Amateur Radio group to see if we can all be accommodated. I don’t envision using the room to do the reloading. I’m going to put the bench on wheels so it can be rolled around, it just needs some place to be stored. If anyone can come up with another place to store the bench that is acceptable to DMS I would be grateful and we would be out of your way.

I don’t know if you are planning on using the room just for storage or if you are going to operate your equipment in the room.

I’m new to DMS so I am still trying to understand how things REALLY work here so any help you can give me will really be appreciated.

Russell Ward

Hi Russel.

We have an intent of sharing the office with the milling committee and their computer / simulator. The reloading equipment came into play after the fact, but as long as it is clean desk I have no problems with it.

Specifically, Amateur Radio is trying to plan for:

• 4 radio slots (they don’t take much room)
  • Power outlets
  • Antenna jacks
  • A computer specific to the Amateur Radio Committee
  • Desk area to work

I envision building a desk in the room will come after this antenna install. I believe this can easily be accommodated with a dog-leg type desk and utilizing vertical space in the room.

Admittedly, while Amateur Radio intends to operate out of that room but for various reasons has been slow to set up.

For the reloading equipment I would like to propose working space in the office; it needs to stay in an enclosed room.

I know another member (Clay) is interested in participating in the desk build. I foresee us starting design after the turn of the year. Amateur Radio should be able to front supplies for the desk build (and we have all the tools we need).

Sound like a plan?

1 Like

Keep in mind that if I were any more flexible I would be limp. By that I mean that I am open to any suggestions.

I’m not sure why you feel the reloader should be in a closed room. Is that to limit access? I would like to be able to access both sides of the reloading bench. There are two presses that could be independently used so ideally access to both would be a plus but that is not a necessity. I plan on storing the reloading equipment in the work bench when not in use and we could lock the equipment up when not in use if needed.

I intend to have the bench top clear when not using it so it could be used by the Amateur Radio as a desk top when not used for reloading.

I fear the both our groups would suffer if we were time limited in our use of the space. Both of our groups would prefer to have hours and not minutes of use of our equipment. I would like to reduce the space conflicts as much as possible.

There is no real time pressure at the moment, there isn’t likely much will be actually done until after the Holidays. I would like for us to make an agreeable plan by the end of the Holidays.

I think we can work out an agreeable plan.
Russell Ward

Having not seen anything on this in the last couple of days, is the plan still to work on the install this weekend? I’d offered to DJ and another member of the radio committee use of my analyzer when needed and had intended to be available tomorrow (well, today) for the hang. I should be up around 1030-1100 and will be available until about 1500 if work will still be done, and the analyzer is needed, on the 27th.

-DV

Nothing uses that digital TV antenna… I’d vote to remove it and put up the antenna - obviously

Has it been cleared with the landlord? See Exhibit D of our lease for the requirement.

It would probably be best if it could be stored on/under a Committee Shelf. Photography is clearing out, so their space will become available for some sort of use.

Ben and I built two masts yesterday. Their concrete is curing currently outside the radio room. I don’t know when @BenjaminGroves was going to get them on the roof, but I think he is going to let them cure a few days first at least.

We got the two dipole sub-masts made yesterday. Two buckets of concrete at 80 pounds each, I think they will stay put on the roof. I think it behooves us to wait till the concrete sets before lugging them about. Today I will look at curing times and a method to get them up on the roof. We will use the same main mast as last location - nothing needed to prepare that one.

I think there are two more days of effort in this setup. One is for lifting, positioning, and mounting of the equipment on the roof. The second effort will be to run the wires and verify the balance of the system. If we can get enough people, doing both on the same day can be practical.

While I have nothing in mind for the antenna effort today (27th), I am trying for the goal to be install complete by the end of the year (I have a few days left). Does anyone find themselves open on Tuesday and/or Wednesday?

Tenant shall not install any radio or television antenna, satellite dish, loudspeaker or other device on the roof or exterior walls of the Building without Landlord’s prior written consent which consent shall be in Landlord’s sole discretion.

I will look into it - thanks for the heads up Brooks

I got approval prior to move in. They just don’t want anything huge or visible from street level.

2 Likes

I’m available both days, Tuesday evening, and Wednesday around 1400.

I am available on Wednesday all day, and Tuesday later in the day (after 2pm probably). I can be around if needed.

Next leg is tomorrow, the 29th. Mission is to get the buckets and other parts on the roof.

My truck is in the shop, should expect to pick it up about noon. Which is good, cause its also colder than a Texas euphemism till then.

Anyone who wants to participate, have a light lunch and see you about 1pm?