Question: which of the lasers are currently working?

Last I heard and saw, Big Thunder is also down. All three Thunder lasers are in need of parts and that is causing the delays. I have no information on the Epilog.

Big thunder will not cut 3/8 plexiglass… :frowning: so there are no usable lasers for Cutting…

I use them to make templates for my projects… im stuck now.

Can we get a time line or an Idea as to when they will be fixed? Have parts been ordered? I am willing to help resolve this issue…

In one of the other multitudinous threads about the lasers, Chris Vrana says that new tubes have been rush-ordered.

We can cut your templates on the Multicam. I have a small selection of Amana plastic cutting bits. Acrylic CNCs beautifully and as long as you’re willing to clean up… static makes the cuttings stick to everything (harmlessly).

3 Likes

I believe the Epilog is running under powered. Any updates on it? Does it need routine maintenance? I’d be willing to help/learn.

The Epilog seemed underpowered to me and I reported it to @cvrana a few weeks ago - appears that he concurred. That said, it could be a focus problem. The manual focus looks a little damaged (someone likely had it down while trying to autofocus). It might need a new tube, though. They’re only good for a couple thousand hours of use.

Th fusion is the only operational laser

I believe Zing is also working. But now that it’s moved, it’s harder to figure out how the exhaust is configured.

And I’m not sure who should know that. @PearceDunlap ? @engpin ? Maybe Vincent? (not sure if he’s on Talk.)

Vincent doesn’t know. We already spoke.

1 Like

I believe the epilog tube is expected to last about 10k hours, when purchased a tube replacement was quoted at $2k, and being RF tubes they can be refurbished/refilled (which may have been factored into the $2k quote).

Before replacing a tube we should have a technician come out and do a checkup on the laser to make sure there isn’t some other problem. The tube could have lived a shorter than normal life but we fully expected >5 years when we purchased it.

Isn’t about time DMS bought a laser power meter? It would answer/eliminate those questions on a weak tube or calling a tech who is going to guess what? - check it with a power meter.

1 Like

We have a power meter. What we don’t have is people.

great. what does the Epilog read? I’ll be there Monday. Where’s the meter located? and I’ll check it.
cheers!

1 Like

It’s in one of the cabinets. Cardboard tube, 4" diameter and 10" long. The meter looks like a thermometer with a black aluminum block at the base. Instructions are in the tube.

1 Like

I need to cut cardboard, I don’t see threads for each machine in the laser category but it seems from this thread that I will need to use the fusion but that its currently very weak? (And, obviously, smaller)

Are their ETRs on the other machines? Anything a user can do?

Do we have any other options for cutting large intricate designs? Aside from trying to do it by hand anyway.

And if not, does anyone know of somewhere else I could go temporarily to cut these? Not sure where else locally has a large bed laser cutter? These are for a Halloween thing and I’ve been asked to get them done by Friday this week.

How big are the sheets?

Various, I’m mostly cutting out large snowflakes, but I’ve gotten a few boxes that are as big as 2.5x4. my originally plan was to make a few large ones and then make smaller ones out of the left overs. We were originally supposed to be painting them Thursday lunch time. I’m also needing to cut a snowman about 3ft tall out of cardboard or foam core.

Sadly it looks like the Dallas library doesn’t have laser cutters, I’ll probably try to do some more googling later.

Lewisville library has a Fusion. I forget how big it is. You’ll have to take some online training to use it. Check their hours because their Makerspace has some closed days.

Sadly it’s the same size as our fusion. But I’ll keep looking. Or looking for options at the space. Thanks for the help