Question MIG usage fees

This may have been outlined somewhere at some time, but I was unable to find it. (I’m sure @jast will produce this ASAP :wink:)

How is the charge calculated?

Let’s say I turn on the MIG and pressure up the gas. Then I rig and jig my piece to tack and weld and let’s say it takes me 15 minutes to do this. At this point, do I owe Metal $5 before I pull the trigger and create an arc? Or only the time, I’m actually using the consummables?

1 Like

Only the time you are actually using the consumables. Gas only comes out when you pull the trigger.

2 Likes

I believe it is actual weld time: $1 per 3 minutes of “trigger time”.

3 Likes

Same thing happens when I get my thumb pulled.:wink:

But I digress, this usage fee does or does not cover wire?

2 Likes

Thank you for the vote of confidence (?), but as far as I am aware, it’s not clearly documented anywhere, and is as David & Luke say. We SHOULD be sure it’s clearly documented on the wiki as well as the kiosk (where it MIGHT already have similar verbiage, but I don’t think so).

1 Like

My opinion only, but, much like the PlasmaCAM, although the Metal Shop tries to keep good wire on hand, that any fees you pay will help fund, if you want to ensure quality and availability, you will want to bring your own wire.

1 Like

Lol…that’s why I keep a roll in the truck. With 35 tips, wire brushes, a shield, and I’m probably forgetting something important :grinning:.

1 Like

The plasma cutter only uses electricity to run, plus some consumable nozzle parts. The MIG additionally consumes wire and the shielding gas, this is the consumables being apir for.

Yes, but as with any equipment at DMS where consumables are “furnished”, if you want to ensure quality and availability, plan to bring your own. The PlasmaCAM is one such beast. Metal Shop makes an effort to provide good quality electrode and nozzle for anyone to use, but if you want to be sure about your work, we recommend you bring your own.
Ditto MIG wire. MIG shield gas, on the other hand, not such a simple task for you to furnish on your own…

1 Like

So Luke says in another thread that the “per minute” charge is strictly for gas use, and does not cover MIG wire, per se.

I’d go with what Luke says. He’s more in-the-know than I am with Chuck.

I’ve asked him the question and he has yet to respond. Perhaps he dropped off Talk for now and will answer later.

1 Like

I just know what I’ve heard haha. All of it goes to the Committee which Chuck & Lee use to buy materials to keep us stocked

1 Like

It is trigger time…If we are out of wire, it does happen at times, If you can afford it buy some wire then turn the receipt in. Lowes & Home Depot are both open later than HF. I wouldn’t use the HF wire but that’s my preference. We are trying to get better on keeping wire stocked but sometimes it doesn’t go to well.

4 Likes