Prosecution of the DMS thief

Just FYI, theft from a non profit doesn’t make it a felony. It bumps it up to the next level of offence. IE a class c misdemeanor becomes a class b etc.

4 Likes

Yes. In fact, I’m fairly sure that only Procurement Officers and W9 recipients have their identities verified in any way whatsoever.

Edit:. I should clarify that if your waiver information mismatches your payment information, your application is rejected … thus we do have some basic identity verification.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying!

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Weighing in as a brand new member, I know if I felt as though everyone was watching and scrutinizing new members due to fear of theft just due to a few “bad eggs”, I may have been hesitant to join simply because I wouldn’t feel as welcomed into the community. I would feel like just being new would put a target on my back.

I’m a teacher, and my classroom motto is also “Be Excellent To Each Other.” Providing my students with a positive only expectation tends to cut down on discipline issues from the “bad students” because they know I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt and I don’t already assume they are going to mess up. They have a reason to respect my classroom, equipment, and their peers because they know the others are held to the same expectation.

Like many have said, if someone is going to steal, no sign is going to stop them. However, the sense of community gives new members a reason to protect the environment and watch out for each other. In this same vain, “petty theft,” like not contributing to the cash boxes when you take something, could be less because most human beings try not to hurt their own communities. I hope these recent theft issues won’t make DMS a less trusting and welcoming environment, because there will always be issues no matter how many security measures are put into place, it’s how the community rallies that will make the difference.

9 Likes

First, welcome to the dms, you will find people of all types at the space, most of them willing to help at the drop of a hat when asked, some just wanting to be alone.

Our first rule is “be excellent to each other” much like your classroom. This was a good rule and served us very well when we were much smaller and growing (35 members and counting) but now our sense of community has decreased as we climb the ranks from small tight knit group to a gigantic collective of people who couldn’t list off all the names of the new members signed up yesterday. The sense of community no longer provides us with the defenses it once did like social responsibility.

While I like the sense of community protection, it just doesn’t work at this size, with our revolving door membership. I also agree that the excessive signage contributes to an atmosphere of “oppression and mistrust” for lack of a better word.

I think the solution is going to be in smarter tool systems (RFID checks), better cash boxes(one way in, mounted to walls), and better camera coverage.

3 Likes

I feel glad the offender was caught and sad it was ever an issue. I don’t want to see fear, distrust and necessary self protection damage the makerspace. I do want members and prospective members know that we’re not an easy target… especially when communicated in a humorous way like the above suggested demotivational poster.

When reading the membership agreement the first time, the phrase, “Be excellent to each other”, stood out to me as a banner that this is a group I want to be part of. Let’s solve this in ways that build on that.

I especially appreciate Cairenn_Day’s suggestion of being friendly, asking what people are making, and generally connecting more with others in the community. Even if theft wasn’t an issue this suggestion could improve the community. And as a new member this quarter, that has extra benefits to me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would prefer we let this thread die. Since this a public forum it is possible for this person to be reading your comments.

The member’s badge has been turned off and there is an item on the BoD meeting to permanently expel them.

Question for admin, can we deactivate his talk account?

3 Likes

The last we checked, we didn’t see any account with his name, eBay alias or email associated with it…

You don’t need an account to sit on the forum and read.

1 Like

I’m still waiting to hear who this was. Arrest and indictment information is public and there is no liability that attaches from reporting factual information (e.g., so-and-so was arrested) and there is NO valid reason not to share. The continued secrecy around this smacks slightly of elitism by those who know. He stole from everyone who pays dues, but “everyone” collectively pay dues approximately 200x what the “in the know” kids do.

2 Likes

Check out the board meeting agenda on the wiki

1 Like

That dang Erik Smith… Oh… Wait…

:laughing:

1 Like

I know … that’s what I thought too: “No way!”

Then I read more closely.

It says if he attempts to enter the facility he is to be reported for trespassing…if we don’t know what he looks like, how do we know if he is attempting to enter the facility?

4 Likes

1 ask (hey whats your name, are you new? you should sign the liability waver here)
2 never let someone piggyback you (every member is equiped with key fob or a key card (in some cases these items are inaccessable- hands being full and such, its always a good idea to ask) also some members have RFIDs implanted in them.
3 if they are stupid enough to come back to the scene of the crime, even if he uses a fake name his key fob is deactivated (should be)

true a picture for shame would make me feel a little better but we never got a clear picture when he was here.

remember the name: Andrew Pena

Mug shots are public records. We could obtain a copy and post it in an innocuous location.

Like the front entry and by the back door.

I put the agenda item up simply to deal with it in the hopes that others in possession of the information would be forthcoming with it. We can certainly pull stills and/or clips from the footage for our own purposes if we want to put up some sort of reminders for the membership.

I like the public record mug shot: generally good clear image - front and side views, name, height, and has a certain ambiance to it that adds to the “This Person Banned From Space - Call Police for Trespassing”

4 Likes

Stealing from a non-profit is an automatic felony, and DMS has and will prosecute. This may be good to emphasize strongly in any new member material, discussion etc. Maybe a sign prominently displayed in the lobby?