Prosecution of the DMS thief

At the member meeting, Alex stated that some items had been recovered but did not have a comprehensive list.

1 Like

One of the most impressive aspects of DMS to me was the fact that I could leave pricey items I own unprotected at peak hours and not so much as a single discrete resistor of mine has ever been touched. I am quite pleased that the egregious offender has been nabbed.

2 Likes

The person in question would hit during low times when people were not around. Peak times mean more eyes. This wasnt their first rodeo. They have been at it for a while. DMS is a 24/7 placeā€¦ both good and bad.

Id just like to say

1 thank you to those responsible for finding this and bringing it to the full justice system and

2 thank you to those honest with the payment system. Esp 3d fab.

1 Like

Posting notices and mugshot, etc. was brought up at the meeting, but the counterpoint was also offered as to whether posted warnings against theft all over the place might not send the best message.

However, I would think during the open house tours making a point to mention the cameras, previous thefts and the fact that itā€™s a state felony to steal from a non-profit might get the point across without having the place plastered with signs.

I would really like to see a talk sticky with the mughots posted so we all can recognize those who have committed ā€œCRIMES AGAINST THE SPACEā€!

2 Likes

And it wasnā€™t happening late at night, when one might think, but mornings and middle of the day.

A suggestion. When you see folks at the space, stop and be friendly, ask what they are making. One of the reasons that Wal Mart has greeters is that they reduce theft. An eye to eye contact with someone makes a thief nervous.

This might not be a workable idea, but if we had a table in the foyer where someone could sew or draw or do some non messy work, during the day, it would place someone there to speak to folks.

In the back if someone is on the laser, take a second and speak to someone coming in. even something like 'how is started raining yet?" or some other silly weather comment would help.

I wish that we could get folks to go out through the common room

1 Like

People who steal are low, but stealing from a position of trust is the worst.

A uniquely crappy part is that the thief already had the right to use all this stuff. Just come on in - the space will even teach how to use the stuff!!! And just to add a layer of awesome the place is clean, organized, has free coffee, free internet and cool people who sometimes give free food.

I think its social hygiene to push against this sort of thing. Also to maintain the vibe that stealing from the space is crap and not tolerated. At the same time I dont like being treated as a potential thief - so this problem is complicated and has strong variables - but is worth the effort.

My thanks to everyone for helping police the space, and for trusting the rest of us with the many awesome and probably cherished tools.

4 Likes

free coffee

Whoah there, chief. Only if you bring your own mug. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Does this mean they have actually been indicted or have they merely been arrested? Not entirely sure how the system worksā€¦

As of Thursday last week, they had been arrested, however there was apparently a good body of evidence, including items found at his home and listed on his Ebay auction, plus there is what Iā€™ll call a rumor that this is not this personā€™s first record of thievery.

Publicdata.com can confirm that if someone has an active account there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Public Data shows a number of criminal cases, most seem to involve deferred adjudication for theft, most in San Antonio for someone with the same name as our thief. Might be the same person.

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: What would DMS do with a background check?

Might I suggest a bold statement on the Ipad Sign in form, and the new member form, something to the following:

WE AT DMS TAKE THEFT SERIOUSLY. IT IS A FELONY TO STEAL FROM A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION, REGARDLESS OF THE VALUE OF THE ITEM STOLEN.

3 Likes

I vote for not mentioning theft at all, on the Ipad, wall, or anywhere else, maybe not even naming and shaming the one known person. People arenā€™t retarded; you donā€™t have to tell normal people not to steal, and people who are going to steal will do it regardless of the sign / warning and know what theyā€™re doing is uncool without you telling them.

The only thing a warning or sign would do is contribute to an atmosphere of ā€¦ oppression isnā€™t the right word. Maybe distrustfulness, the expectation that members will be non-excellent. I donā€™t think that by itself a single sign would be an issue, but thereā€™s a slippery slope somewhere where building that sense of distrust will eventually fragment the community, and Iā€™d really rather not start that way at all if itā€™s not generally considered necessary.

8 Likes

I get where your coming from,

Youā€™ve heard the idea that locks keep honest people honest. Possibly posting a sign that theft from a none profit is a felony may have a similar effect. It wouldnā€™t stop a thief willing to get a felony, but it may stop a thief that thinks it would be a minor charge.

Also, I think there is one action that this whole theft issue is already solving, borrowing tools from DMS. Iā€™ve had discussions with other members that have borrowed tools for an hour or two outside of DMS without asking. They felt it wasnā€™t a big deal and the returned the tool later. They have stated that the idea of having a felony charge for borrowing a tool is fear enough for them not to want to violate the no off-site borrowing of tools rule.

2 Likes

Wait really? Weā€™re allowing people to sign up as members with an alias?

What? Weā€™re going to check ID at the door?

Huh? Are you talking about the guest book/iPads or are you talking about the thing where you pay for a membership and become a member of the organization?

I wouldnā€™t put it outside the realm since we do not ask for ID.

I canā€™t say I know of any but the possibility is there.

Prosecution should be done, we should insist that the charges be to the full extent of the law & not plea bargain down.

The problem with that is the code of conduct and rules say tools/resources must stay on the premises and removing them without authorization is theft. Members need to know that borrowing tools is not acceptable.

Perhaps if signage is posted, it should say:

ā€œAll DMS tools and resources are available for use on DMS premises only, unless prior authorization is approved. Removing tools from the site will be considered theft and will be reported to local authorities. Be advised that theft from a 501Ā©(3) organization is considered a felony.ā€

2 Likes