Proposed New Interest Group: Space Exploration

I’d like the forum to add a new interest group, dedicated to space exploration. It would be dedicated to all aspects of space exploration, including rocketry, satellites, planetary science and space habitation.

3 Likes

So I guess this did not happen…I cannot find it.

Although nobody created an interest group on the Talk forum, my goal is for Science Committee to serve as the umbrella committee for all science, engineering and technology disciplines not covered by other committees. Science Committee includes space exploration (we even put up some nifty posters on our wall at the Space).

1 Like

Thanks. That is good to know.

I am playing the part of a new member looking for a “home” committee. Rocketry is one of my areas of interest. Aerospace would have been a natural until it got rebranded; I have read absolutely nothing since about the intentions and future plans of the R/C Hobbies committee.

I joined yesterday and had been intending to go to the meeting tonight to complete the process and get a feel for the culture, but something came up.

1 Like

We would be happy to work with you toward your area of interest. Incidentally, @Lampy (Ken) is Electronics Committee chairman and a rocket enthusiast. If Science Committee can get something going in rocketry, Ken likely would be interested in joining the fun.

Please excuse Science Commitee’s slow motion. We are a small, young committee with a wide range of interests. The focus right now is on horticulture (aquaponics, vermiculture and spirulina), building a nitrogen laser and getting appropriate furniture in our space (tables and shelves) and getting classes going.

1 Like

Thanks again. Microcontrollers is another area of interest and Ken is one of the first people I intend to contact.

I do not foresee needing any special support from The Space for rocketry. Access to tools allow me to build rockets and ground support equipment. I belong to the Dallas Area Rocket Society and we already have people and infrastructure to launch. Now if only Mother Nature will cooperate.

I’m a past DARS member and can help. Currently in another phase of pyrotechnic activities, at PGI making large noises and bright lights.

1 Like

Hi Ken, @Lampy

When were you with the club? I joined in 2000 and have been there since.

Do the names Dover, Sprague or Hunsicker ring any bells? There is naturally much overlap between rocketry and pyrotechnics.

I’m in Wyoming with Richard Dover for the Pyrotechnics Guild International. And I know Jack and Susie very well along with Scott. I was s member of DARS from the early 90’s until 2002.

We need to visit sometime!

I hope both of you had a great time.

Were you part of the group who set up a display at Windom? Richard was upset that many things did not go according to plan, but those of us who spectated thought it was great.

Indeed…and we shall soon.