Proposed New Interest Group: Photography

I’d like the forum to add a new interest group dedicated to photography, discuss all aspects of photography, including HDR and stereoscopic (3D) photography. It could also include holography, though that bleeds over into lasers, too.

2 Likes

This already exists. There was a photography committee that the board had to downgrade to an interest group due to inactivity.

1 Like

I think that sounds like a great idea, and might take off from the feedback I got from members while I was working on my lightbox project. Brooks is correct tho, there was a committee but it was downgraded.

I would suggest organizing a few meetups, classes, etc., then perhaps bring it up again down the road at a meeting for others to reconsider at that point. It’s just a tough call because the photgraphy groups have had their ups and downs but there are always quite a few members interested in photography - they have just not been organized… So here’s your chance! :smiley:

On that note, I spoke with a local camera shop (family owned, well-established) a few weeks ago and they seemed eager to become members at the space. I’m sure they would love to contribute knowledge and perhaps teach a class or host a workshop.

Three people met with me for my Stereoscopic 3D class on Saturday. We had a great discussion, largely due to two of the participants bringing in their own equipment and sharing with the class. One of them commented that he used to belong to a club that made 3D photos from film, but interest died after digital killed it. I know it’s tough finding 3D photo enthusiasts.

I don’t have a terrible lot to offer to a photo class. I’ve had a few classes and I know the basics. I’ve even taken a class in studio lighting techniques. One of my best memories is of spending a Summer in a Photo class, in which our assignment was to travel all over Collin Country, shooting photos. Riding through the countryside in an air conditioned college van, eating snacks and shooting photos is a great way to spend a Summer!

I’m thinking of setting up a camping trip that would combine several interests; photography, biology, geology and camping.