Proper use of equipment

If they are HDPE, we would be more than happy to accept them; I believe a harder plastic wouldn’t work well because it could chip out. But I’ll also defer to people more knowledgeable, I’ve only ever used HDPE.

And don’t worry - I don’t know you in person, but your TALK persona is enough to convince anyone that you’re not the type of person to do this.

The reality is I’ll never find out who it was - I’m sure it’s on camera, but don’t really see a point in checking them now. Either the person who did this will see this, feel 30 seconds of guilt and be better or they won’t see it at all and continue until they’re eventually found out. It is what it is, and all that can happen is trying to be better going forward.

1 Like

I THINK that they are? They’re really just taking up space at my house. They are small so I’ll plan to leave them there. If they are the wrong type, feel free to trash them. I’ve got too many cutting boards at the house as is.

Let me know if you need relatively large HDPE cutting boards. They have them at the restaurant supply that DMS has a membership with. Also you can order large sheets and rip them down on the table saw.

1 Like

HDPE is white, slightly translucent, and has a somewhat oily/slippery feel to it. It’s the same plastic they make milk jugs out of, so if it looks/feels like milk jug plastic on steroids, it’s probably HDPE.

I can look at the cameras to see if we can find the owner of the big guns.

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Restaurant Supplies

Assuming an appropriate thickness (depth of miter slot), when cut down to ~3/4" strips, these types of cutting boards come in very handy in making various sleds and jigs.

I left the ones that I have in the cabinet, hopefully they’re the right kind.

1 Like

pew! pew! pew!

Sorry, I’m easily entertained today

1 Like

I don’t see a point unless you or @jrkriehn want to hold them directly responsible. I’m frustrated and a little discouraged, but confronting the culprit isn’t going to change anything for me. I just want people who are using these tools (and really all the DMS tools) to just respect them for once.

1 Like

I don’t think we could really make somebody pay to replace the ruined equipment.

However, from my standpoint, knowing who did it allows us to implement the discipline guidelines we put into place, and this would be a big strike on their permanent record. Hence, if they repeat less-than-excellent behavior again, we have some teeth for displinary action.

And I’m curious what the hell they were using that enabled them to punch all the way through both the leather and the cutting board. A drill, perhaps?

It’s very possible to do if your tool is sharp enough and you use enough force. Especially with a round punch (and it’s lack of surface area) - if it’s sharp enough, you could go through 2 layers of 4-5oz leather and the relatively soft HDPE if you’re banging the hell out of it. Just look at our mauls - they’re pretty pockmarked from past users being a little more assertive than needed.

1 Like

Hmmm Good to know. I guess it’s presumptuous of me to think a test tap or two would be in order. (that’s my usual modus operandi)

But then, it might also indicate how crappy some tools have been allowed to get - because when I took the original version of THOR class, he was punching pieces out of veg-tan with a belt-tipper that was so dull, it took me multiple thwacks to get close to all the way through the leather.

When doing stuff at home, this has happened to me. I’ve punched through my cutting board like this, and I’ve punched through the anvil of my revolving-head hole punch by squeezing too tight. I’ve drilled through materials and my sacrificial backer board right into my workbench, too.

The funny part is, I only did each of these over-aggressive maneuvers one time. I stopped because I don’t want to have to replace my stuff prematurely.

Seems like this member didn’t care about whether the cutting board would have to be replaced.

Why couldn’t the person be required to pay for damaged equipment? People are banned for a variety of reasons. Couldn’t this be such a case.

3 Likes

I like the cut of your jib, Sir!!

1 Like

Because we say over and over and over that “we won’t punish you for breaking stuff…”

Granted it is assumed that they owned up to their error, but I can just see the flame wars on TALK heating up over he said/she said debates over whether given damage warranted yadda-yadda. I don’t get paid enough to mess with b.s. like that.

4 Likes

I was thinking in terms of BoD level repercussions. But, I’m not up there in the trenches, and you make a very good point about the administration aspect.

Are you sure they were working on a project, or murdering someone?

3 Likes

That may have BEEN the project.

2 Likes