Projects to Teach In Blacksmithing

First, I’ve taught the chisel making class a number of times. In it i teach how to use the four tools in the blacksmithing area: induction forge, cutoff saw, hydraulic press and the KMG grinder. I intend to continue to teach it on Tuesday nights. We also teach a number of projects in our open forge classes which we do once a month.

Last Sunday we made bells
and in previous Sundays we’ve made hearts from horseshoes, fireplace poker (requires forge welding) and a squirrel spit/Meat turning fork) among other projects. These can take 4-5 hrs of forging using a propane or coal forge.

@rhettbruck, @jbrown885 or myself could teach hammer, anvil and tong skills, hardy tools usage, tool making (like bending forks and scroll workl), forge welding and even some damascus knife making. Some of these would take multiple days possibly 20 hours or so (more for damascus).

Here are some of the possible projects:

1. Various hooks for hanging things
  2. Door handles/brush handles
  3. Leaf keychain
  4. Bottle opener (Can and Bottle opener, too)
  5. Railroad spike knife
  6. Bookmark
  7. Spoon
  8. Calipers/Compass
  9. Letter opener
  10. Double hook horseshoe
  11. Napkin rings
  12. Railroad spike bottle openers
  13. Cooking tripod
  14. Steel bracelets
  15. Celtic broach
  16. Dinner bell (Triangle)
  17. Door kniocker
  18. Fireplace tools
  19. Damascus knife
  20. Bending fork
  21. Punches
  22. Nail headers
  23. Nails
  24. Scroll
  25. Trivet

Do any of these projects interest DMS members in general? There is no guarantee that they would be scheduled, however, if there is significant interest we can see if we can get someone to teach them.
If you happen to be a blacksmith with some experience we would welcome you to teach a class, too.

Some of them are pretty simple some obviously are not.

1 Like

+1 for damascus knives (or knives in general). I personally could dedicate the 20+ hours.

I think putting together some sort of progression based courses would be in our best interests. I know that I am interested in knife-making and Damascus but I have only done rudimentary projects and the things that I wish to be doing are much more complicated than what I have done.

I have been thinking about working on trying to create some multidisciplinary courses since so many things involve more than one department.

I think a decent progression would be making the railroad spike knife to learn about edge creation, the fireplace poker or another item that requires forge welding, and then an intro to Damascus where we apply the skills learned from those two projects to create the Damascus steel and then shape it into a knife.

Sorry I missed this week’s meeting, I was not feeling terrific.

We’ve taught making railroad spike knives a number of times. We’ve had varying degrees of success. We’ve also taught forge welding a time or two for smaller projects like a forged handle.

Truth is good hammering/anvil skills are needed to do a good job of any of the projects. This, like all things human, requires practice to be good at it.

There are courses at Brookhaven College on blacksmithing and Damascus steel knives are taught in the third semester after learning basic skills and creating a plethora of tools.

I appreciate your feeback.

I’m happy to help support anyone who would like to help create multidisciplinary courses or document things - feel free to send me a PM if you’re interested in that.

I also highly recommend the blacksmithing courses at Brookhaven. They are great classes and very reasonably priced.

There are a number of multidisciplinary things we could make:

Here’s one from another thread discussing making a dibbler. @John_Marlow suggested the Sherline could be used to make the nib and woodshop the body and laser to etch the inch marks on the dibbler.

Other ideas include knives, screw drivers, various bbq tools, fireplace tools, other tools in blacksmithing and wood shop.

1 Like

Blacksmithing is SO on my bucket list. Hopefully, someday I won’t work weekend days. I so need a mailbox support angle bracket thingy. Will just have to bang up another 2x4 until then, lol! Project classes are a great inspiration.

1 Like

I would love to teach those. Im thinking of hosting a safety and hammer technique class this next week. How do I post a class?

1 Like

Go to event and login with your I’d and password. Then add a class. Fill in details and submit.

Some info here might be useful

and some screencaps here

Fwif I would say a intro, beginner, advanced class structure may help.

Where I have forged a rose, blades, pattern steel, jewelry, fences, hand railing, etc before. I have no idea how you made that bell.
So I would be interested in taking a beginner type course maybe make my own tongs, then advance on.

1 Like

If you want a smidge of help setting up the class, I’ll be happy to help. We can send in your W-9 too.

I’ll be up at DMS intermittently today through Wednesday.