[Project Idea] Plain Old Telephone Service and Phreaking

Looks like valentines day would be around the time we get to bear this phone’s soul to the world :slight_smile:

1 Like

For a little light reading while waiting…

http://www.historyofphonephreaking.org/faq.php

I knew a serious phone phreak in high school.

He told us interesting stuff like the callback number. Dial 410411 and hang up. The phone company rings the phone and anyone answering it is greeted with dead silence.

There were other things, but that was the only one I remember.

2 Likes

970 followed by any 4 numbers used to give a busy signal. Once you hung up, it dialed you back and told you the phone number you were calling from.

1 Like

Phreakers are still going strong. We have our own subreddit too. https://www.reddit.com/r/WeirdNumbers/ and binrev is still updated regularly.

Many years ago any (800) xx2-xxxx toll-free number was only good within that State, intrastate use only. I do not know if that applies anymore.

1 Like

Since everything is now digital and mostly over a form of VOIP its all international and works like its local-ish.

So it looks like the guy we got this phone from destroyed the locks and jammed it up. If anyone has any suggestions on how we can get into this thing I’d love to hear it.

Also, if you guys didn’t know. we have launched radio.dallasmakerspace.org. Version 1.1.0 will have several streams scheduled and use liquidsoap for organizing all of it. But how is this relevant to this project one may ask… Well check out this extension plan:

exten => 2600,n,Answer()
exten => 2600,n,MP3Player(http://radio.dallasmakerspace.org:8000/mpr)

For those that are not in the know. This would add an extension number 2600. In our case the planned liq file would look like:

################################################################################                                                                     
## Settings                                                                                                                                          
################################################################################                                                                     
set("tag.encodings",["UTF-8","ISO-8859-1"])                                                                                                          
set("log.file",false)                                                                                                                                
set("log.stdout",true)                                                                                                                               
set("log.level",3)                                                                                                                                   

## Playlists                                                                                                                                         

live = input.harbor(icy=true, "mpr", port=8080, password="makehacklearn")                                                                            

anonradio = strip_blank(input.http("http://anonradio.net:8000/anonradio")                                                                            

2600oth = playlist(mode="normal", "http://www.2600.com/oth-broadband.xml")                                                                           
2600otw = playlist(mode="normal", "http://www.2600.com/otw-broadband.xml")                                                                           

defcon = playlist(reload=600,                                                                                                                        
        mode="normal",                                                                                                                               
        "https://somafm.com/defcon.pls")                                                                                                             

signal = playlist(reload=600,                                                                                                                        
        mode="normal",                                                                                                                               
        "http://broadcast.sonologic.net:8090/signal.mp3.m3u")                                                                                        

hpr = playlist(mode="normal", "http://hackerpublicradio.org/hpr_mp3_rss.php")                                                                        
npr = playlist(mode="normal", "https://kera-ice.streamguys1.com/keralive.m3u")                                                                       

# emergency = single("/srv/audio/fema/emergency-broadcast.mp3")                                                                                      

## Scheduling                                                                                                                                        

schedule = switch(track_sensitive=false, [                                                                                                           

## Sunday 00-23:59                                                                                                                             
      ({ (0w) and 0h-24h}, [live, anonradio]),                                                                                                       

## Monday 00-23:59                                                                                                                             
      ({ (0w) and 0h-24h}, [live, anonradio]),                                                                                                       

## Tuesday 00-23:59                                                                                                                            
      ({ (0w) and 0h-24h}, [live, defcon]),                                                                                                          

## Wednesday 00-23:59                                                                                                                          
      ({ (0w) and 0h-24h}, [live, defcon]),                                                                                                          

## Thursday 00-23:59                                                                                                                           
      ({ (0w) and 0h-24h}, [live, signal]),                                                                                                          

## Friday                                                                                                                                      
      ({ (5w) and 0h-17h}, [live, npr]),                                                                                                             
      ({ (5w) and 17h-18h}, [2600otw]),                                                                                                              
      ({ (5w) and 19h-20h}, [2600oth]),                                                                                                              
      ({ (5w) and 20h-24h}, [live, npr]),                                                                                                            

## Saturday 00-23:59                                                                                                                           
      ({ (0w) and 0h-24h}, [live, hpr, npr])                                                                                                         

])                                                                                                                                                   

radio = fallback(track_sensitive=false, schedule, falliable=true)

## Send to Streamer

output.shoutcast(
        %mp3(
          bitrate=192,
          samplerate=44100,
          stereo=true
        ),
        host="streamer",
        port=8001,
        password="supersecret",
        genre="Ambient",
        url="https://radio.dallasmakerspace.org/",
        name="Dallas Makerspace Public Radio",
        fallible=true,
        radio)

# archive the stream

file_name = '/srv/audio/$(if $(title),"$(title)","Unknown archive")-%Y-%m-%d/%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S.mp3'
output.file(%mp3,filename,s)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Thus if one dials 2600 on a friday between 5 and 8 they will get to listen to 2600.org hacker quarterly.

Can you take pictures of the locks? Also: quoted from binrev:

recently had to forcibly open a 120B (surplus bought on Ebay, no key, but cheap). Since it was a GTE housing, the lock was not a wafer type (i.e., 30C), but rather a pin tumbler, either a Medeco or clone as shown in your photo.

These locks as pictured above are attached to the housing simply by the outer ring, which is only as thick as the housing wall and threaded to screw into the housing from the inside. (By contract the wafer type locks in the old Western Electric models are a complete lock assembly attached by four small mounting screws to the housing side, making them much more difficult to force open.) In sum, the lock on your phone should be able to be opened without damaging the phone or housing in about a half hour by the following procedure:

Tools needed: electric drill with masonry bit slightly larger than the keyway, long-handled screwdriver made of professional grade materials with a square shaft (very important), wrench made of professional grade materials and which is the appropriate size to fit the square shaft of the screwdriver, hammer.

Steps:

1. Place the phone on its side with the lock in question facing up. Be sure to have a carpet or other material under the phone to protect the case from potential scratching.

2. Drill into the keyway just enough to expand the slot to accommodate the point of the screwdriver; do not drill out the cylinder!

3. Hammer the screwdriver into the slot created in th expanded keyway.

4. Grip the screwdriver shaft with the wrench, and whle applying pressure to the screwdriver, use the wrench to twist the cylinder first clockwise, then counter-clockwise. With repeated efforts the cylinder will begin to rotate further clockwise. It will require substantial torque. The goal is to eventually break the lock free of the housing, so that one end is up and out from the housing. You may need to use the screwdriver then to pry the lock up and out of the housng. In my case, it came out in one piece.

After this, the upper should open with the T-key. I was able to purchase a replacement lock from naicomm.com (I used Item LK0150) and had it installed in minutes.

Good luck and phreak on.

levitis_leviathan

www.pa2600.com

hackerdocs.domaindisabled.com

www.payphonephreak.com

1 Like

We do have a t-key and some picks but this looks like the guy took a dremel to it. Since I’ll be at the space tonight we’ll have picks up around 18:00.

Greetings… I am brand new here but have been in the NTX area my entire life.

I am 48 and have been into phones since my single digit years and was a phreak during the 80’s and 90’s - even ran a BBS that got taken down during Operation Sundevil - fortunately no charges came from it.

I stumbled across this thread on google and thought i would join and see if this might be a fun place for me. i still play around on the phone system (mostly legally these days) and am even in process of writing a program for the Dialogic Diva telephony board that deals with the same subject matter… i run several sites/forums that deal with old school bbs/hacking/phreaking/utils, etc mostly as a way to archive old apps and what not…I am not good at all with electronics which is what I’ve always envisioned a makerspace to mostly concentrate on so i’ve never looked for a local makerspace - but this thread made me rethink all of that.

Anyways - thats kinda my introduction… Would love to be part of the site in regards to what I can provide (as outlined above) rather than just lurk…

Thoughts?

1 Like

I have a payphone i would be willing to donate if still needed/wanted.

1 Like

Hey Lucid,

Glad to have you around. There’s a chance I’ve dialed into your board back in the day a few times. I’d love to hear more about this Dialogic Diva telephony board that your working on?

I have a payphone i would be willing to donate if still needed/wanted.

If you have pics/vid or time to bring it by then I’d live to take a look at it.

https://calendly.com/denzuko/tech-support

I ran Dallas Hack Shack and The Veiled Society. I ran less known boards as well even earlier but they were mostly atari user based bbs’s…

ah… hack shack. I vaguely remember that one. Use to run Wildcat 6 for Defcon Norad out of the Colorado before we turned it into a hosting and application development firm.

1 Like

Do you know if anyone is still doing Fido in zone 1?

Due to the nature of the boards I ran I never really got into message networking… We were always a bit more “elite” than all that… lol… So nah, I dont know…

1 Like

thanks. Yeah from I can tele fidonet has become the “1337 darknet” for polish and russian hackers.