Programming implanted RFID chip

I was fortunate enough to get one of the implanted RFID chips a few weeks ago, but now need to program it to work with my employer’s HID badge system.

I was shown a Raspberry Pie system there in the common area that is supposed to be able to do this, but the person I was speaking to at the time did not know how to actually accomplish this. Is there someone here who can assist, or send me the information on how to do it myself?

Thanks in advance!

Assuming it is compatible*, Stan Simmons @StanSimmons should be able to get you up and running. Having your current work badge would be necessary.

Have you considered asking your office if you could instead use the current implanted chip’s encoding as your badge? They might frown on you cloning the work badge…

* “The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.” - Andrew S Tannenbaum

Have you found out which HID mode your employer is using? that makes a big difference.

The ProxMark on the table will be a better bet than the setup Stan uses by default. He may still be able to help you, but DMS uses EM41xx rather than HID prox or other HID configs.

If your employer is using something like iClass then you’re out of luck for the most part (at least if you have the same implant I got a few weeks ago based off the TM55xx emulator).

tl;dr find out what system your employer uses, then see if Stan or someone else can help with it if it’s compatible.

Cheers,
-Jim

It is probably a different frequency RFID than your employers system. I know that I can not use my Makerspace RFID card to open the doors at my employer due differences in RFID systems

Actually, most employers still use the old 125 kHz systems, but not all do; that’s why one needs to actually investigate. The HID systems that were deployed for years, and still often deployed, are dumb prox card based systems.

Many orgs don’t pay for the extra expense of the cards that actually can do challenge response or similar to justify a higher frequency system

The Proxmark3 Easy that we have will read and write 125kHz and 13.5MHz RFID devices. @Know has been messing with it the most and knows how to clone a variety of cards and fobs.

The one that I have and use is a 125kHz EM4100 format only read/writer and can only program the injectables for our system.

Haven’t yet found out which standard they are using - today was genuinely my 1st day there. Should have my permanent badge tomorrow, I would imagine that scanning it should tell which format it uses, correct?

Thanks! I will reach out to @Know and see if he has some availability to help.

Usually can determine it.

If it’s HID the two big modes are Prox cards, and I class.
You’re out of luck with iClass, but Proxcards are easy to work with and
function well out of the TM55xx chip in the dangerous things package.
If you have a temp badge you can figure the details out from it as well.

-Jim

Well the good news is that the HID scanners in the building do recognize the chip in my hand (they beep and the light changes). But obviously they are not approving me based on the current encode.

So now it’s just a question of cloning the information in my my permanent badge (should get it today or tomorrow at the latest)

That’s good; means it’s the LF reader system (i.e. not iClass on HF which these chips can’t handle well).

The ProxMark Easy would be your best bet to confirm the protocl of your business badge once you get it, then you can read the value in then write it to the reader. It’s tricky though; the coupling has to be just right. I’m still waiting on a better reader from Dangerous Things that has a helical coil rather than a pancake.
EDIT: Looks like that package arrives today actually. if you want you can PM me and I’ll bring it by and we can see if we can make it work with the easy. It’s a more reliable communication to the chip.

For those that are interested, Dan Q will be here Sat, April 28 at 7pm for another implant session. I’ve ordered some more implants that will be here before that session.

What frequency are our non-injectable RFID tags?

125.00000 KHz

1 Like