Professionals & Studios using Penpot, Inkscape, Blender, Darktable, GIMP, Linux, etc

Doing some research on behalf of a local nonprofit. We may want to commission some work in the future, but we are looking to see portfolios/showreels of:

• Graphic designers who use Penpot or Inkscape
  • Video production/editing studios or freelancers who use Blender for VFX, or otherwise use Linux
  • Photographers who use Darktable and/or GIMP

I saw that there is a local meetup group for Blender, but it seems to be dead for a few years: Dallas Blender User Group (Dallas, TX) | Meetup so I’m hoping this community might have better leads!

P.S. Wasn’t sure whether this belongs in Creative Arts (which covers digital media) or Digital Media which is a separate category for some reason

1 Like

Creative Arts focuses more on the physical side: so leatherworking, silicone molds, sewing, etc. Digital Media focuses more on audio production, video editing, etc.

I do have a little bit of experience video editing on Linux with KDEnlive, but nothing at a professional level. What type of content are you looking for?

1 Like

I’d also try some local colleges like UT Dallas if you haven’t looked. Lots of ATEC students looking to expand their portfolio. Not sure if you’d see many using FOSS production tools, but worth a shot.

1 Like

Will vary, but likely informational videos and some compilation videos of events. Maybe also something in the style of Bloomberg Originals

Also, some more examples are Second Thought, Geopolitical Economy Report

Do they have a directory, or how do you mean to try it?

Ah! Someone on facebook pointed me towards the Texas Film Commission’s directory which is incredibly useful: Directory Listing - Texas Film Commission - TEXscout(sm)

I wonder if such a thing exist for graphic designers?

Larger studios will be using Linux but there’s only a handful in all of Texas. Blender usage will be hit and miss. It’s used at a lot of places but not as the primary application for production. Tangent Animation was the only studio that I know of to use Blender as their primary application for production (and publicize it) but they’re now defunct (also Canada instead of Texas).

1 Like