Preferred plug for the syncrowave?

@TBJK @malcolmputer @hon1nbo

Last I saw on talk the Syncrowave was functional. I was going to setup my consumables and run through a functionality check…water flow through the torch and the basics.

I assume the black plug, the Millermatic is plugged into, is the higher amperage socket… is this accurate? The Millermatic is plugged in on the right of this pic.

No, they are both 208 30A. We hope to have a 480V service after expansion, but now it’s just those two 30A.

Oh, and don’t exceed 120A for any amount of time or you’ll throw the breaker.

1 Like

Thank you.

Yep, I remembered the 120A…thank you for the reminder.

1 Like

No fun no fun. Lol reminds me when at home while welding. I get into a groove & want to finish a weld out. 1/4” from the end the breaker trips. Metallica is usually playing when that happens.

2 Likes

Ok, so old blue is running well…at 120-125A…the spinner on the chiller is not working well, but water flow is good. my TIG…well a lil rough on Al. Some tests running on an old coupon in the bin are shown below.

The welds to the left at the vertex of the angle are mine. Everything on the flat side is mine. I was playing with balance and feed speed.

All welds were AC 120-125A, 3/32” rare earth mix tungsten, gas lens, #8 cup…the tungsten balled up faster than i’d like, but way better than lanthinated. It doesn’t splinter like Lanthinated also so YAY!

1 Like

I made the assumption that you were welding DC on steel or stainless when I recommended Tungsten. You’ll find that pure Tungsten balls and welds great on a transformer based welder.

@malcolmputer
I’ve always used thoriated with a blunted tip for aluminum…never had an issue. I keep pure tungsten in my welding box just in-case. It’s been there a super long time. I was playing with lathenated and ceriated…

Inverters typically have less stable arcs when the pure tungsten really balls up. Same with ceriated. Lanthenated works fine in this regard, but splits and splinters when you have to break off a tip. Rare earth was nice…not sure how it does at the higher end currents for its thickness, but so far I like it and it will be my go-to.