Precious metal clay (PMC) anyone

is anyone making stuff out of PMC? Is there anyplace local that I get get some (probably the cheaper bronze, brass or copper). additionally, is there a kiln at DMS that can be used to fire it.

I’d like to do a couple of experiments with an old idea I had of trying to directly laser the material. (don’t worry, I’ll be using my own laser engraver). Additionally I have some molds I’d like to try to see if they are smooth enough to work with PMC.

Basically, I tried some silver metal clay some 10 years ago. The results were that 50 watts of power barely scratched the surface of the clay and in fact started to ‘fire’ the clay as it hardend quite a bit. all the metal in the clay basically absorbed all the heat. Anyway, there have been changes to the binders and such in modern clays so I want to give it another try.

thanks for any help.
-Nick

Hi Nick!

I’m interested in teaching a basic metal clay class :). I have used both silver and copper metal clay and like them both ;). I might be able to help you with what you are trying to do?!

hello. my real interest is is trying to see if I can use the big laser to remove the material to create the
figure rather than having to use a mode. I tried it unsuccessfully years ago with a 40 watt laser.
the 130 might have a better chance. But if you have a class I’d definately be interested since I can make regular molds for the clay. And of course I need to know how to fire them.
Cheers!
-nick

@nicksilva I do work with PMC typically sterling silver. There really isn’t a local supplier that I was ever able to find. Typically I’ll order from cooltools metal lays or riogrande depending on who has the best deal at the time. It sounds like your wanting to “carve” the raw material with the laser? Not sure how/if the would work without at least semi firing the edges and no idea how well that portion would sinter to rest of material. When I first joined, before jewelry/small metals, the fired arts kilns could get in ball park but not accurately hit/hold the temps I was looking for. I have a evenheat kiln with digital controller that I can bring up sometime if you have a project ready.

One of 2 distributors of Mitsubishi PMC is in Mesquite.

I have a friend who works there

https://pmcconnection.com/

I forgot about them. They ticked me off when I first started plus their prices were quite a bit higher. Most sites carry Mitsubishi.

thanks for the offer. I don’t have a project in mind at the moment, but I’ll give it some thought.
cheers!

There was a lady in Frisco that I bought some from for a fair price (market). She teaches classes and had inventory of the clay. I found her through the Dallas Craft Guild. I have unfortunately long lost her contact information :confused:

Hi Nick,

If you are interested in using copper metal clay I can help you fire it, etc… It’s a bit of a different process than firing Silver or gold clay. Let me know whar you decide :wink:

Cheers!

hello. Kati,
that is very kind of you. Of course I’d be interested. I had thought of using the less expensive metals.
Just le me know when you’re available.
-nick

https://www.riogrande.com/Product/COPPRclay-100g/132007

I posted a link above for 100gr pkg of copper metal clay from Riogrande.com. I love ordering from them ;). It’s fun to play with :). I’ll get back with you and we can set up a time :slight_smile: !!!

Cheers!

1 Like

You can order smaller and larger pkgs of the copper metal clay also of course :wink:

very cool. Just let me know.

@Kati you said it’s a different process than firing silver or gold. I thought the only difference was you need to bury the copper in activated charcoal like phase 2 of sterling silver. Am I misremembering?

@apparently_weird,

Yes, there is a different process to firing copper clay verses silver clay although there are other ways of doing it. I fire mine in coconut carbon the reason being copper (base metal clays), when fired exposed to air, react with oxygen to create oxides, which, like the residue of the binder, prevent the particles from bonding. Pure copper can be fired exposed to air for a very short time before it oxidizes internally so if it’s a small piece it might be fine to do it that way. The copper clay pieces fired (buried) in activated carbon reduces the amount of oxygen in the kiln and inhibits this reaction. With Silver clay I just fire in a kiln open, or torch fire it… although, I use fine silver metal clay not sterling pmc ;).

@Kati That’s the difference then. I deal mostly with Sterling Silver which is a two phase firing with the second phase also being burying it in activated charcoal as well.