Powdercoating status

@delpn @rlisbona any chance there is an upcoming powder coat training? If not, would the best course of action be to attend the next metal shop committee meeting? Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I too am interested in a class as I have a crash bar and powder I’d like to use. Or if someone wants to use mine as a test piece I’m good with that too, (it’ll be hidden anyway) don’t want it to rust and want to get it painted soon.

Hi Jeremy. I’ll be there tonight and I’ll run you through the process with your bar. If anyone else wants to join us just show up around 7pm. We aren’t having official classes until we get the oven light’s delivered and installed. As of now they are only ordered.

4 Likes

@Mrholthaus I can be there from 7-8pm tonight if you’ll be around - appreciate your time!

Thanks @Mrholthaus for the demo and for showing the outline of the upcoming powder coating class that is still being planned as the process is being sorted out.

I think the oven would definitely benefit from oven lights that you said we’re still waiting on and also determining why the oven wouldn’t hold commanded temperature. For some reason, we had to set the desired temp higher than required by the application instructions to get oven to (kinda) hold the correct baking temp.

Overall, the demo went well and I’m happy with the end results. The Prismatic Powder used was Desert Nite Black, Item: PWS-2859 - a black wrinkle finish.

3 Likes

The oven should hold a very steady temperature. What kind of variations were you seeing?

The powder called for 375F, so we set oven to 375F but noticed that it was “clicking-off” any time the temp approached 375F. Seemed to settle mid 360s. We bumped temperature up to 385F and temp hovered just below 375F. The relays kept clicking off and on without reaching commanded temperature.

Thanks for the clarification. The controllers are supposed to be PID controlled so with the proper settings they should be fairly accurate. Usually, the default configuration works reasonably well but this sounds like something is off. Wild guess is the D is too high. Anyway, definitely an issue.

What are the dimensions of the booth filter that you guys measured the other night?

Filter is 20x25x4. MERV 8 or higher. Stock one is a MERV 8.

Lights came in. They have MOLEX connectors. Not sure if @artg_dms has any connectors lying around that will fit. We need to cut holes. I’ll look into it tomorrow.

2 Likes

3 Likes

If electronics doesn’t have anything, I might. Send pictures next to a ruler for scale. Do these connectors end up in hot areas? Nylon is not very temp resistant. What kind of wire insulation is used?

Those look like AMP connectors. I think there are some in the Tanners loot, if they haven’t been hauled off by the raiders. I may have some, I’ll dig.

how many do you need?

We have 4 lights so 4 of them

I’ll be in tomorrow. Where are the lights so I can see if what I have fits or not?

That looks like a decent test. I’m just curious about the “bubbling”? It almost looks like it has water on it.

Yeah it didn’t turn out. Still experimenting. Those illusion colors are a bit tricky. I was testing masking, recoat, and multiple coats

1 Like

Hey everyone, I cut out a part on the plasma cutter yesterday and was hoping to try out the new powder coat setup. I was thinking a simple white color would be fitting. Is anyone able to help me with this one day this week? Do I need to bring any supplies?

1 Like