Powdercoating status

I’ll stick a name label on it and haul it in next week.

35 minutes is nominal for a powder coat oven this size. The elements are just common oven elements and 30 minutes is pretty standard for a regular home oven. This is a little bigger so it’s right in the ball park. If the others are glowing red it probably should too but I’d ohm it out or use an infrared thermometer on it. It might be a good idea to make sure there isn’t a loose wire just for safety sake.

1 Like

@delpn looks like these might be ideal for powdercoat related storage.

In Fort Worth, dunno why it comes up with Cyrillic

Wait…paint booth? Where can I find details on this?

IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS IS NOT A PAINT BOOTH.

There will be doors locking it, once those are trained, they will be allow to use it a intended. Spray for powder coating only.

3 Likes

That’s what I was trying to clarify. I didn’t know if he was referring to the new powder costing ovens or if there was actual paint booth somewhere else in the facility, and if there was, where? My understanding is that the fire Marshall won’t allow us to do any sort of spray painting or similar finishing at DMS, hence the question.

The BIG hurdle is the EPA. We can buy a fire compliant/certified booth. We can buy an EPA complainant boot. But Makers complying with detailed record keeping on EPA rules on volitiles and hazardous waste disposal . . .the fines would never end. Powder coating does not have the volitiles/hazardous waste issues.

Plus, a paint boot requires a vented duct at least 15 feet above of the roof top. Our lease states any on the roof can not be visible from the ground.

Our small air brushes are allowed to only use non-volatile paints.

2 Likes

The powder coating booth we have is about as large as you can get without getting into NFPA requirements. Anything larger would require fire suppression.

4 Likes

I’m using some high temp lab metal on some aluminum that needs to be baked at 400 for 45-60 minutes. would it be possible to use this oven to cure the dried lab metal? my parts are 33x22x1 (custom radiator fan shrouds) made from sheet aluminum

That is same range as powdercoat. I don’t think we have a proper ground connection yet in the oven control box. Talk to @delpn Nate Delp and see if he has any reservations and do it when we are already running it for debugging and there are a few people around.

no need for ground, just need to bake them

The oven doesnt have a proper ground connection and this needs to be fixed before its ready for general use.

Last night we powdercoated a valve head cover for the Motorsports team. I took some pics

3 Likes

Ive got a crash bar and some wrinkle black prismatic powder if someone wants to test it some more. :grin:

Maybe Sunday afternoon?

I’ll throw my hat in the ring too if you’re interested in testing some 18” car rims. They have no tires on them. I want to put tires on them, but want to powder coat them a satin black first.

Can our media blaster fit 18” rims to clean them down to the metal? To get my rims powder coated somewhere is like $400. Eek! Much cheaper to do it at the space.

I don’t think the vapor blasting cabinet would be big enough with working space for an 18" wheel. it might fit but not enough working space.

1 Like

how do we get signed off on using the powder coating booth & equipment?

1 Like

@delpn and I built this rack but we really should build another one. I have been doing process experiments while learning to powder coat. These are a few of the pics I took. We need another cart as a staging rack. We should also work on a better hook system, I have been improvising making hooks.

Thanks @delpn for replacing the glass and finding the lights we need to get to fix our lighting situation. Hopefully we can get that situation resolved soon.

For all those asking about classes (“be the change you want to see in the world”). If you don’t go to the metal shop committee meetings or find/contact @delpn, me, or @rlisbona then you are unlikely to know the status of future classes. Those that are currently using the oven are the people who have reached out and helped set it up.

To recap:
The booth needs a door+lockout
The degreasing/staging process needs refinement
The lights need to be installed (on order)
Another rack/cart needs to be built
Hooks need a better process
The grounding clamp process could be refined
The clean up process needs to be established

Ideally I think this process needs its own small space. It currently has a large footprint and it’s really clean and nice. However the current setup is temporary until construction on expansion completes we won’t have anything permanent.

7 Likes

I suggest we order material for more carts.

2 Likes