Possible engine machine class

Just wondering if I can kill 2 birds with one stone. My 2004 Suburban has a seized engine from a bad oil pressure sensor and I was wondering if a teacher could use this opportunity to have a class teaching how to fix a seized engine. I will pay for all stuff needed to complete the job and extra, plus take the classes!

2 Likes

@LukeStrickland fixed a seized engine in a Dodge or Chrysler van by pouring a magic elixir consisting of penetrating oil and other fluids into the cylinders and letting it sit for three weeks before attempting to turn it over. This is unlikely something which can be resolved in a single class.

Interesting. Yeah I didn’t expect this to be a single class but the magic elixir sounds promising

Discussion here:

1 Like

Your issue sounds very similar to mine! I’d hate to let the truck go if it could be an easy fix

Seriously, if you didn’t overheat the engine, or try and force it to turn over you should at least try my method.

1 part diesel fuel, 1 part ATF and a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil. Mix it up, pour it into the cylinders via the spark plugs and crankcase (where you put the oil), and let it sit for a week or so. After a week, pull the ignition coils (or whatever causes spark) and see if starter can move the engine. If the starter can turn the engine, drain the cocktail and replace with oil. I recommend changing that first batch of oil within 3k miles, to get the cocktail out.

I did this with a 170,000 mile grand caravan, and then drove it from PA to TX and it worked fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, no, maybe…

We have an engine tear down class coming up. The task of rebuilding an engine properly often outweighs what a replacement costs from a junk yard. Unless your engine is ‘special’, a couple of hours at pick-n-pull and about $200 will get you a replacement engine.

Typically, to hydro flux, bore, polish a block is more than $200, plus you will have $$ in bearings and oversized pistons. Next, do you do all that work without freshening up the head? Another $100… plus parts…

We are happy to give you help/ advice, but you are not the only member currently in the midst of an engine rebuild and my experience is that ‘free help’ is in limited supply, as everyone has their own projects.

I have some experience with rebuilds and I would be happy to talk shop with you…

2 Likes

I’ve heard the Caravan running and fine is not the word I would choose. I am a big fan of Marvel Mystery Oil, but it’s hard to reverse miles and miles of wear, on top of high heat from the cease…

1 Like

Here’s your parts from eBay… plus machine shop work gets real close to $1,000 very quickly

1 Like

You should investigate the noise you hear, because you’ll find the exhaust leak is what you hear, not the engine.

1 Like

Yeah, the truck in question is 360,000 miles! Sometimes the end is the end but the interior is almost cherry mint, literally almost perfect. That’s why I want to give it one last ditch effort to repair it and I’m definitely not asking for free help. Just haven’t noticed this topic being brought in the 3 months I’ve been a member

+1000 :blankspace:

1 Like

I have not looked at Luke’s engine, but I agree the sound could be from the exhaust side, but knowing the history of the engine my fear would be a cracked exhaust manifold or header. Hopefully, it’s a gasket or a snapped header bolt. I’d sure that Allen will enjoy the challenge.

My luck with saving engines has been short term in most cases…

I don’t intend to bust on Luke’s success, I just wanted to look at the options, costs and risks on your Chevy v-8…

The 04 is either a 6.0 or 5.3L, not 346 or 350ci.

1 Like

If you plan on keeping the vehicle long term, this is probably your best bet! https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-5-3-Engine-323-LM7-Avalanche-1500-2500-3500-Truck-Van-Suburban-Tahoe/292608900763?hash=item4420d97e9b:g:NhAAAOSwFXdbvJaF

Would an engine swap be possible at Makerspace?

1 Like

Ordering something like that makes the swap fairly straight forward and simple. With some help, it can be done in a day. With proper permission from the automotive chair you should be able to do the swap at The Space.

2 Likes

Do you know when the engine tear down class will be? I wasn’t able to find it on the calendar.

Multiple thoughts…

1. There have been multiple engine swaps done at the space. There is no ‘requirement’ to get permission- it’s an engine and you are in the Automotive committee. Pull it, strip it down, , put your tranny and accessories in project/ pallet storage, send block/ heads to the (engine) machine shop, reassemble, reinstall.

I am currently working with a 8.1L 502ci Chevy V-8 and I can tell you that may budget is much lower than the link to the eBay engine. You also get to choose which parts go into your engine, so if you need a cam, you may choose a higher performance cam; but with a ‘stock’ rebuild, you have no idea to the parts used.

I currently waiting to be installed as the new Automotive Chair. I have descriptions for 24 classes, which I plan to pass out at the next committee meeting. I want to gauge interest and recruit more teachers. I suspect the teardown class will be in early July.

If you are really interested in an engine teardown, I’m down to the block on my 502 and about to separate it from the bell housing and strip the block- If you wanted to volunteer, I’d be happy to go through the process.

I am far from a professional, but I’ve swapped about ten engines. I am off work tomorrow, so I’m hoping to get the engine out and ready for the machine shop by Monday.

My engine is going to (likely) require honing, or at least polishing, so after the block is out, it’s time to remove the damper, the crankshaft, camshaft, connecting rods, flywheel, and pistons. The block gets much easier to manage with all that weight removed, plus the machine will charge you for ‘prep’ if your block is not ready to go into the tank.

I’m saving up to buy an new engine now, hopefully by August I can offer my truck and take the class