Plastics committee anyone?

Does anyone want to form a plastics committee? Or is there a better way to address plastics forming/machining/cutting within our existing shops?

Possible capabilities could include dedicated equipment such as table saw, band saw, router, drill press, hot wire bending, foam cutter, possibly the vacuum former and who knows what else … (@Team_3D_Fab … not trying to steal your machine, but I know you took that on because no one else would champion it).

With expansion imminent, this would be a good time. If there is interest, it would be a good time to identify the potential future equipment and the related space and utility requirements.

I am not volunteering to form, lead, or even participate in a plastics committee. However, having worked in many of the shops I see that plastics are somewhat of an orphan. They have slightly different needs regarding feeds & speeds, cutters, etc. and it seems like it would be nice to have equipment set up and dedicated to plastics.

Discussion anyone? Volunteers? Remember it takes five to form a committee.

8 Likes

I am thinking that 3D fab committee could become a plastics committee once
we expand. I would love to have a desktop plastic injection machine with
premade molds to get people started. I hope that came across in my
proposal. If it becomes a committee I’d be happy to help.

9 Likes

What’s the maximum size you are looking at? Heat bending and forming of larger pieces. Up to say 48" x 48" (‪0.001219‬ Km ‪0.001219‬ Km :grin:) or even smaller 36" x 36" (‪914400000‬ nM x ‪0.9144‬ M . so easy to convert units!). The lasers can cut these sizes and drill holes. Work area for handling items, using and storing tools.

1 Like

This topic has come up before. Think there was a group that did research on plastics for the Multicam. A quick search on Talk turned up:

Looks like Walter posted a lot of useful info and links.

A consolidated easy to access/understand reference table would be extremely useful. Table would include:

1. How to recognize different types of plastics. How to test for - i.e. if it snaps clean it’s probably acrylic and ok on the lasers. If it bends it’s polycarb (or?) and not ok on lasers.

2. What types can be cut/machined on what machines - multicam, laser, Haas(?), etc.

3. Recommended tooling, speed and feeds.

4. Cautions/warnings, weird stuff to be aware of.

This covers the cutting/machining side of the topic.
And there’s molding, bending, 3d printing and ?

Definitely interested.

2 Likes

People also need to be able to saw plastic to fit it into the laser.

1 Like

There was also:

I think there does need to be an understanding of what can be done on what machine. Woodshop (that I’m aware of) only allows plastic on CNC machine after Advanced CNC machine. If someone needs to drill, are either the Metal shop or Machine shop open to plastics? While I can easily see 3D fab covering some aspects, it would be counter intuitive to buy a separate drill press, band saw, table saw, etc for 3D fab just to handle plastics.

1 Like

does that ever happen? been a long time since I’ve seen that class offered.

Yes, we have a small dedicated drill press on the table for plastics. I run plastics in the HAAS on occasion. Miles of plastic have been cut on the bridgeport and the lathes. All we ask is that the cleanup be done well.

2 Likes

I was thinking of this just the other day. I would love to see a plastics bender for making boxes. And you are right that some type of dedicated saw would be needed. The woodshop is kind of restrictive and having to change over the Delta from wood to plastics and then back again is a pain. On the plus side, plastic doesn’t create dust in the same way and falls to the ground. A trim router would be a must have.

I’m not in a position to lead (anything) right now, but I would think this could be SIG under machine shop if anything since we already work in machining plastics.

1 Like

We have one. It’s on the floor under the large laser. It needs some woodworking done to it. But that’s one of the things that could go into this type of a committee area.

I agree with you about the nuisance of changing things back and forth for plastic. And the more changeovers that are made, the greater the chance that something will get messed up.

Also, since plastic working is usually done at lower speeds (at least when I do it, it is :slight_smile: ) that’s another reason for having dedicated plastics equipment.

1 Like

cool. I’ll check it out when I’m there.

2 Likes

How many members would be a favor of having some exploratory meeting(s) to define what plastics capabilities would be desired for plastics work and what would be needed in terms of tools, space; types of plastic work, work tables, power, air, and equipment needed. It can then be decided if committee status should be requested, a SIG under a committee, or which committee if other committees will step up to cover unfilled requirements.

After tools are identified determine which ones can currently are currently met in DMS. Then for all the outstanding needs develop a prospective floor CapEx estimate as well as floor space. This will determine what tools are needed and if a committee is willing provide them in the future. But the space requirements needs to be planned into the move, even if tools are split up between committees. This could avoid duplication of certain items, even if something simple but necessary as available work space and tables. Some items would obviously stay the where they are: lasers, drill presses, Multi Cam.

A major advantage of a separate committee or as part of a committee that is charged with having a significant “plastics” component is it will support tool acquisition and dedicating space for it.

There is a lot of plastics work done at DMS, capabilities be expanded/enhanced. Now now is a good opportunity to look at how DMS incorporates this into our expansion.

3 Likes

I have never worked in plastics much, but I think we do need a committee for it,

I am not sure how much I can help, other than be a warm body and a cheerleader for it, but I
am willing to do that

1 Like

I am highly interested in helping establish this as a SIG/Committee. Please keep me posted on any developments.

2 Likes