Plasmacam zinc plated sheet metal

Can I cut 26g zinc plated sheet metal on the the plasmacam or is it frowned upon due to fumes?

3 Likes

No welding or cutting of zinc coated metal, unless you first remve the zinc.

6 Likes

Figured as much. Thank you.

1 Like

Not just frowned upon, either. Zinc is serious business and can be detrimental to others, not just the operator, so if the posted rule regarding NOT using zinc coated materials in the metal shop is ignored, the using b-word as punishment wouldn’t be a stretch.

Also, this SHOULD be massively, abundantly clear from the class. I know I harp on it. Maybe not enough, though if it’s unclear…

I’m well aware of the danger. Though i appreciate your quote of my phrasing it was more of a figure of speech. And as per the class I was 99% positive I couldn’t but figured I would ask anyway, this being a helpful welcoming community and all.

2 Likes

There is a sign on the wall that states No Galvanized Metal. This guy isn’t joking about how fast and how little of the gas it takes to make you sick. When young, immortal, and stupid, I didn’t believe it. Welded some galvanized tubing, the first breathe of it that came up under my helmet convinced me the Metal Shop teacher might actually know what he was talking about.

If you remove it a couple of inches on either side of the weld path that should get it out of the heat affected zone.

When you do the removal using acid - do it at home or do it outside where there’s lots of air. You CAN NOT DUMP anything down our nor can you dispose of it here in sealed containers, etc. There are very strict rules that apply to commercial business, which we are considered as. That’s why there is a sign in janitor closet. So if you do it here, make sure you take all the liquids with you. If you bring it in, you take it out,

Neutralizing it just brings it back to pH 7 (neutral) it does not get rid of the metals that have gone into solution or precipitated out. It is still considered hazardous waste.

It is a royal PITA, but this is something we must all ensure is complied with. This includes etching and anodizing solutions. There can be serious consequences for if not followed.

Thanks

4 Likes

Again. Well aware of the dangers. This was more of a what i could buy at home depot right now thing. Though I’ve moved on to a different material.

3 Likes

We appreciate that rarity of you asking first !

4 Likes

And we appreciate your asking. If there’s any doubt, please ask. I don’t mean to be an ass about it, but I do want to be very clear.

What could we have done to make that other 1% shine through?
This is the kind of thing that shouldn’t be in any doubt when the class is finished…

2 Likes

What’s the plating on the other metal you don’t want to mess with? The yellow/golden one.

2 Likes

Thanks, I was drawing a brain fart on that one.

2 Likes

“Meth Lab Section…” nice!

2 Likes

That explains a lot about you. (evil grin)

1 Like

I guess I’ve never really grown up.

1 Like