PlasmaCAM - Is safety training required?

Of course it is but some folks miss it. I start a couple of minutes after scheduled time but need to cover 54 slides, a break and 90 minutes or so in the shop. The regular class announcement states,“No-show (failure to check attendance list within 15 minutes of class start time) or cancellation within 1 day forfeits the class fee and you will need to sign up and pay again.”

If someone wanders in at fifteen minutes late they have missed the intro, where to find info, the safety slides and probably overview of the hardware. If that is not important, we could dump the slides and allow more time on usage. Just joking.

I often have no-shows and hopeful fill-ins. I comment that I will accept fill-in for empty slots at 16 after and then note that when the time comes.

I have never had an empty seat and someone show up more than 15 minutes late for it. What do you do? I think we should follow the rules but I want to hear others thoughts.

I have considered covering “Safety First” last but do we want late comers controlling the class?

1 Like

I have to confess, I have considered it. I always end up spending more time on the slides than intended, and you DO get opportunity to PRACTICE what you’ve preached, which is arguably more important…

He is answering the question posed in the thread title, i.e. of course safety training is required before using the PlasmaCAM, but sometimes folks don’t make it to the safety portion of the lecture.

I can agree with your hardline stance on that (though I am likely less adept at practicing it).

We do not. :+1:

1 Like

Yeah… a bit confusing. It was a followup to the title, “PlasmaCAM - Is safety training required?”

I’ve talked to @jast about improving the slides which would dump some. I should have something in a couple of weeks.

Any thoughts on start time of 6:50 - no entry after 7:00 (unless message as mentioned above)? Training starts at 7 sharp.

2 Likes

No need, in my opinion.
I do request 15 minutes of setup time in the calendar, and make every effort to be there during at least those 15 minutes, so I expect class to start @7PM sharp. It is my personal belief that all things should start at their advertised time SHARP (I do a horrible job of LIVING UP TO IT, but that’s my belief). It is further my doctrine that we should ALL strive to have all things start ON TIME. (again, I don’t manage to practice what I preach, but there’s nothing wrong with goals)

1 Like