PlasmaCam class was awesome

took the plasmaCam class last night. I thought they did a great job. I’m feeling really confident about cutting out some metal shapes. thanks everyone!

8 Likes

I wanted to second that shout out. Zach and Tim helped make that easy to understand and apply safely. Presentation material was excellent!

5 Likes

Now that you’re trained to use it safely, go do some cutting! Don’t be shy to ask for help or just a double check on your first projects, as we’re glad to help.

6 Likes

One thing to note is the new torch is on, it is quite a bit bigger with the length of the retaining cup. So it will sit higher in carriage.

3 Likes

I’ve got a soccer ball dxf with my daughters name and number in 1/4" steel I want to cut. It’s a about 24" x 18", I’m concerned about the blue dots in a piece this size.

Do you have part numbers for the consumables handy?

No I need those. I know to get them at Metroplex, but I do need the numbers.

Plus, I’m not sure about the 40% rule with the steel this thick. I’ll do research prior to testing the metal.

You should be fine. The duty cycle is from what I remember the same at 40 amps as it is at 60.

Swirl ring, all processes except handheld FineCut® and 100/105amp is 220857 (currently in the torch I presume)

Fine cut swirl ring 220947

Standard Duramax electrode 220842

CopperPlus electrode (Longer life) 220777

Nozzle, 45 A 220941

Nozzle, 65 A 220819

Nozzle, FineCut 220930

Retaining cap 220894

Shield 220818

Fine cut shield, has ohmic attached 220948

I think we can use the mechanized shield in place of the drag cut but will get one & try on Monday. I will add that part number when I confirm.

We did also get the consumables in but is just the generic ones at this point.

3 Likes

Awesome! I’m looking forward to taking the class in the near future!!!

On second thought, metroplex is open in the morning, so I may do that in the morning.

2 Likes

Question Tim: with a plasma cutter, I’ve usually used a Shade 3 or 5 for handheld plasma cutting with a face shield. I think it was mentioned in class to use shade 8 with the plasmacam. Did I hear that right?

From the Lincoln Electric website: **Many people mistakenly think that the lens shade number corresponds to the amount of protection that is provided to the eyes and hence the higher the number, the better the protection. But in reality, all well-constructed quality welding lenses, have a screen that filters out 100 percent of the harmful ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) wavelengths and provides protection to the eyes. The number just denotes the amount of darkness provided by that particular lens and should be used by operators as a guide to select the one that is most comfortable and yet provides good visibility for the particular application.

Of course, there are some suggested lens shade numbers that you can use as a guide if you are unsure what to select for your application. These correspond with the amperage being welded. Always select a shade that allows you to see the weld puddle clearest and that most aids your welding ability.**

weldinglenses.pdf (62.3 KB)

3 Likes

Yes, you heard that right. @TBJK and @zmetzing can confirm. Which having said, @nicksilva makes a solid argument with good references that was likely made in the classroom as well, which is that shade 8 is a good starting point; your needs may differ.

1 Like

agreed. with the plasmaCam, you’re not going to be staring directly at the arc like you might do for TIG welding so there may not be a need for a darker shade. But if you plan to weld, might as well get one that serves both purposes. cheers!

Thank you for such an informative and hands-on class!

This is my busy season so I can’t check the calendar every day, but every time I do, the PlasmaCAM classes are full. Looking forward to get into one.

The AWS recommends shade 8. Personally I wear just my standard tinted safety glasses but I don’t make it a point to watch the arc. Also I do not ever remember getting an arc burn on my skin from plasma cutting. If you do standard welding such as MIG, SMAW or TIG you will get arc burn(sunburn) to exposed skin.

1 Like

Ok so I went to Metroplex welding, they did not have the shield instock at that location. Mesquite had which I will go by Monday to get. I did however get some other things. I got the stuff to provide our secondary ground. The table now has a secondary ground, I wanted a better ground clamp then what I got. The issue was with the bronze ground clamp the tension was too tight I was afraid that others would have problems getting it open. The original ground clamp is in the rear of the table & to stay that way. It clears the carriage & gantry just fine. The new ground clamp is smaller 200 amp ground clamp. It is a much better clamp than the original due to it’s size. I was also tempted to get a magnetic clamp but would be useless on stainless or aluminum.

2 Likes

I just ordered me a pair of welding glasses today that will fit over my regular eyeglasses. THE most important thing to look at on the Spec sheet is the UV rating, the ones I got were rated 100% UV blocking. It’s the intense UV’s that an electric arc produces that causes the most damage quickly rather brightness.

We should have a curtain that can be pulled when the PlasmaCam is working, at least on the front side

Another PlasmaCAM class will be held on Dec 1st at 7pm. Should be on the calendar soon.

2 Likes