Place to Paint Car Door

HI Makers,

I have to paint a door on a Saturn Vue. It’s a fairly simple paint job. Does anyone know anywhere I can rent a space hourly or for the day so I can paint this door? I don’t need any equipment, I have what I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey, @Kriskat30 – would that be acceptable in the “tent”?

To my understanding. the EPA has so many regulations on auto paint that DMS can’t take the risk. Unless my information is out of date.I learned it from a Board of Directors member.

@Team_Automotive

So you’re just looking for a place to shoot the paint? Forgive my ignorance, but why couldn’t you do that at home?

Mind you I’m curious, as I also have some body-work I would be interested in doing.

By the way if it were me, for just the door, I would look for a mom-and-pop place, and show up with cash and a sixpack, and have them do it as a side job, with me looking on, or even helping if I really wanted to get involved. Anyways just a thought.

1 Like

Sent you a PM with a possible contact. Person had a booth for rent on Craigslist in March. No ad up now, so may or may not be an option.

If you live near Decatur, TX, then try joining the Wise County Antique Auto Club. They have an approved paint booth for their members only.

This Club also sponsors the Decatur Swap Meet which is the first Swap Meet of the year in this area, February 22th thru 24th. Great place to find car parts.

1 Like

I have used a 10 x 10, with a tarp for walls, at my house to have a temporary booth. Ive also just painted in my garage before. That’s was when I had room in my garage.

He’d use the kitchen, but transmission rebuilds get in the way.

4 Likes

There are many good suggestions so far

There was/is a poor condition booth off north Cowan ave in Lewisville that could be rented for time used. Definitely not modern by any stretch of the word.

You could try and do a little of your own leg work - but these suggestions cannot be done via the internet or I-phone - to be of real value one would have to get off the couch and ask for information in person.

Go to the county community colleges that teach auto refinishing & see if they would help you out (or perhaps one of their students would). Long ago - I knew a retired pilot that would take the refinishing classes just to work on an old 356 for the facility and equipment.

Try a couple of “Mom & Pop” body shops - and ASK ( don’t call - but show up and ask - yes there is a difference).

Spraying at home is probably going to be your best bet in a make shift low dust / low bug tent with plastic on the floor, lower humidity is on your side this time of year but the lower temperatures are not.

Might I suggest calling/Talk to Dale Jackson Career center. It’s part of LISD, My little brother years ago painted his truck there when he was a student. They may be looking for vehicles & parts of vehicles to paint. I’m not sure if they still do that kinda work there or not.

I agree also with Tom. I had a friend who had a body shop, when he’d get slow, he would get what ever work he could. He was a small operation at that time, not a franchise.

1 Like

I would like to thank everyone for their replies, suggestions, questions and PM’s. I live in fort worth, so it’s already a stretch getting to DMS. I knew from previous conversations that it couldn’t be done in DMS (FYI, with the expansion it wouldn’t hurt looking into getting a temp booth). @factori I have actually painted a hood and bumper previously in my garage. The problem is the setup time and wife. Emphasis on wife ;). I like sleeping in peace. I will call a couple of HS and CC in my area and around and see what happens.

Because I like learning, I would prefer to do it myself. This is a car that is nothing to me, which is why I practice techniques I see on you tube. Seriously. I’ve watched a youtube video series on auto body repair, so I like to put the work into practice one step at a time. Now I’m working on feathering techniques and this car door is a perfect practice piece.

Thanks again to all those who replied.

3 Likes

When I did my fenders. It was the end of November about 3 years ago. I put heaters inside my temp outside structure to warm it up before I sprayed it. I then turned it back on afterwards. To keep it warm & cure.
I looked for a picture but couldn’t find one.

It’s my understanding that the auto paint being verboten has nothing to do with space or accomodations but has to do with fumes regulations from the EPA and the amount of redtape required to clear it.

1 Like

True. From what I’ve heard (scuttle-butt only), we’ve got about enough leeway to paint one car per year. The second we go over that, we’re regulated and we have to keep track of every spritz of paint. Our 24/7 nobody’s-in-charge model would mess that up speedily, so we just don’t do it.

1 Like