Pistol Competitions

Just a FYI to anyone who isn’t aware, the Dallas Pistol Club is just north of us off of Belt Line. They have regularly scheduled competitions pretty much every weekend for pistols, both steel and practical.

I’ve been to two practical matches in the past month, and considering it’s only $20 ($15 for the match, and $5 for the non member day fee) it’s just as good if not better than paying for a lane rental at most ranges. You will draw from the holster, and be shooting on the move on most stages. Looks like an average of 5 stages per match, and around 100ish rounds of ammo per match.

If there is interest I could host an event to go over the way they run their matches and the expected procedures and safety protocols. I’d love to have some other members along to check the place out, they’ve been very welcoming to me and all the other new shooters who have shown up at the two matches I’ve gone to.

6 Likes

This is something I’d really like to practice as opposed to compete in. Do you happen to know if they offer practice or drill sessions for individuals or groups? Otherwise, I am happy to call them…

No, other than competing or during the Tac-Con convention they don’t have non members on site in a group.

The competitions are very newbie friendly. Don’t worry about pressure to be fast Fast FAST or dead center on every shot, just follow the safety rules and go at your own speed.

2 Likes

Signed up for the match this Saturday, I’m in Squad 5. I can swap squads if 5 fills and people want to have me available to talk you through the processes during the match.

You’ll need to create an account here:
https://practiscore.com/ It’s how they track scoring, and also takes care of your legal waivers in advance. Match will cost $20, cash only on site. Search for “DPC”, sign up for the Real World Gun match on 6/24.

I’m a member at DPC and shot a fair number of matches there. As mentioned they are super newbie friendly as long as you are safe and help out (paint/tape targets between shooters). No one cares if you are slow as long as you are safe.

Depending on how full the match is, you might even be able to pay for two slots to use a different weapon or setup…

1 Like

This sounds interesting to be certain. Assuming other than a pistol and ammo we would need a holster, 2 spare mags, and mag holders? Also, is this still going on? Thread is a few months old. Thank you.

I personally have more than two spare magazines so I’m not constantly reloading between rounds, but then I’m also shooting a single stack pistol so I only get 10 rounds per magazine. Otherwise the gear is as stated (plus eye and ear protection, naturally…)

Matches are pretty much every week, just changes between “real world” and steel matches on regularly scheduled weekends.

I’m having to take a short break from matches due to our heavy craft show season starting up, but I signed up for the Range Safety Officer (RSO) class at the end of this month so I can help with running matches when I go back.

2 Likes