Pistol and Rifle: Safety and Cleaning Class (Follow Up)

Hi Everyone,

I want to start this by saying thanks to everyone that attended the class. We had a great mix of experienced and novice students. I would also like to thank my co-instructor @bhouse without your expertise and assistance this class would of been too much to run.

For those that attended the class and wanted to look back at the safety suggestions, I pulled my information from the NRA website: https://gunsafetyrules.nra.org/

Now for the follow up, lets see what worked and didn’t work.

Successes:

• Setup and maintained a safe and comfortable class environment.
  • Attendance, We had 9 of 12 registered attendees make the class.
  • Everyone had a item to clean and learn on.
  • Had enough tools for the class to work in unison.
  • Had enough help to allow personal 1 on 1 attention for those brand new to firearms, disassembly and maintenance.
  • The members that where lacking confidence at the start, left with confidence when the class was over.
  • Made connections between current and future Hatcher’s committee members.
  • Publicized future Hatcher’s classes and saw interest in the future classes.

Needing Improvement

If you attended the class and see anything I missed, please post a comment to bring it to my attention.

Thanks,
Nick

1 Like

Link takes me to page with many brushes and or brush categories. Which brush, specifically?

DMSMoodle this, or use good, short Youtube video as intro. Also, provide popcorn. Also, show it in reverse when done (“please! please! please!”).

Good Catch on the brushes, didn’t realize the link was not product specific when I copied it. The brush we need is under Hand Utility Brushes > Utility Brush - Double Ended > Heavy Duty Blue Nylon

Here is a Pic of the product page to help:

I’m not sure this is a great use of DMSMoodle, because the main concern is often confidence to do the disassembly and cleaning yourself. Rather than not having access to the information. In the future I will disassemble a simple pistol and explain why and how the different parts need to be cleaned and lubricated. Instead of jumping to hands on after showing the cleaning tools. That way the class has a better idea of process. This was a small issue in the class really only effecting 2 or 3 people. But, Thurman jumped in and between the two of us we were able to keep everything moving. Just looking back I know it was a point we could improve on. The issue with a video is that they tend to be specific to the firearm being cleaned, rather than explaining commonalty between firearms.

I’m suggesting that the Moodle video/steps be reviewed before the class, or at the beginning, and then you and whoever can then walk-through or provide hands-on-help to the attendees with their own firearms. But this way you can “show the room the process” in a consistent, repeatable way and then move on to the practical exercises.

I get what you are saying, I just think you are trying to solve a different problem than I am. I wish you had come to the class, as my explanations of the issue doesn’t seem to be clearing this up.

There is a divide in learning when it comes to item that you are not confident around. The main point of my class is to build confidence. When watching someone do something on a video, it lacks the reality of doing it in person. You often make things look simpler and easier than they actually are and the person in the video looks to be more of an expert than they often are. When I show the disassembly, reassembly, and cleaning of a gun in front of the student, they can see the struggle, true force needed, and thought process behind the actions being taken. Videos due to the forced perspective and clean editing tend to hide this. I think seeing it in person brings much more value. Plus, this class is meant to be completely noob accessible class, adding prerequisite training I feel challenges that appearance as well.

2 Likes

lol…you crack me up. It must be hard always being the smartest person in every/any conversation. Let me know if I can help…oh wait, I can’t help, I’m too stoopid.

Anyhoo…ordered:

Should be arriving in a few days (if it’s not coming from China, that is).

3 Likes

I wish I were smarter, I’m just not doing a good job of explaining the issue. Next time we are at the space, I can better explain what happened, in a few minutes of talking and showing. Rather than failing to do so in text format.

PS, You are a Rock Star for ordering the brushes. I very much appreciate this as we are juggling funds currently in Hatcher’s to expand into bullet casting. It really does mean a lot.

Thanks,
Nick

3 Likes

Can we get a read on the make and model of those great long gun cleaning rods?

I checked the wiki tool list and they aren’t on it - ( we also need to remove the Hornady press )

Good class - Great group of people!

Tipton Max Force Cleaning Rod .22-.45 Caliber https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VC6ERZK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_PGJLzb966CV8M

There you go.

added to my wishlist… I have a feeling they will soon arrive.

1 Like