Pinewood Derby Workshop - Calling for Volunteers on 1-13-24 from 1PM to 4PM

Hi all,

My name is Chuck and I help run the local cub scout pack (5 to 10 yo). @SWA is gracious enough to let us use the woodshop to help us with some woodworking.

Summary:

I need volunteers who can use the woodshop equipments, specifically the bandsaw and sanders. The event is at Jan 13th, Saturday, from 1PM to 4PM, but most likely end before then.

Details:

We have something called pinewood derby:

We give kids a block of wood and 4 wheels and nails and we ask them to shape and race it. Some of these kids have no access to tools, which is why I am having them come and do it here.

The kids will draw out their design (we have a few templates, but they are free to choose their own) and we are asking for a few volunteers to help cut them out on the bandsaw and do sanding where appropriate.

Chuck

1 Like

Is the derby on the 13th or you need help building on the 13th?

I am asking for help building the derbies on the 13th.

The racing is on the 20th in a separate location altogether.

2 Likes

Chuck, as you know I’ve done this for several years now. I’m happy to help you if my schedule permits. I’ve put it on my schedule for 2024.

2 Likes

My son placed first in his pack and third in districts… if you think it’s of value, I can give a 15-20 min presentation / seminar on tips and tricks to set up your car optimally at some point on that day. I would just need a list of pack rules to make sure I conform to the standards. No worries if it’s outside the scope of what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Attached are the rules.

Pack 837 Pinewood Derby Rules.pdf (16.5 KB)

We can def try it, but these kids have very short attention span, especially if their friends are there. I am not turning down your offer, just trying to set up expectation.

2 Likes

From my perspective, the majority of the kids aren’t focused on winning, but having fun with their friends building and racing them. I’d be very interested in the tips though, so I’d offer it and see if the kids/parents would like to have the presentation.

3 Likes

No problem… I definitely understand so I’ll try to keep it as brief as possible and flowing the best I can. I’ll also keep my expectations low. If no one seems engaged, I can wrap it up.

My son’s attention span is at least as short as most kids his age and his focus on winning versus building was also minimal… until we got to the day of the race and then suddenly he cared about performance. :grinning:

I’ll also try to print out a take home sheet as well in case kids or parents want to take it into consideration after the fact or next year.

2 Likes

Every year, my kid wants something that looks cool, but it’s not aerodynamic.

Then on race day, he complains why his car is so slow…

3 Likes

Same… Fortunately, my son’s definition of “looks cool” starts and ends at metal flake paint.

3 Likes

Great video on how to make it fast [that I’m sure has been circulated several times now]:

But you also want to make sure the parent and kid combo are having fun together.

3 Likes

The rules for your pack are a lot less restrictive than the ones that we had to race under… specifically, unless I missed it, there are no rules about having one floating wheel and/or rail-riding and/or axle modification (although I would be hesitant to do much more to them than polish and lube based on way rule 8 is written).

1 Like

My last pinewood “outlaw class” car from 2017 consisted of RC parts and a ducted fan. Needless to say, but it blew the opposition away.

I designed and printed the fan mount at dms (the ziptie didn’t hold) :smiley:

3 Likes

I am doing something similar, except I am using a 9volt. I couldn’t figure out a way to attach a high capacity battery without burning out the fan that I am using.

2 Likes

The rules were meant to be lax. We found a few versions that are 2 or 3 pages long, and that seemed like a pain to both do the derby and enforce.

1 Like

Why not use an Estes Rocket Engine setup? If you put the right fins on it it would simply blast off and accelerate until it his an obstruction. You could possibly create a parachute dragster like stop, too. Fire hazard, noise hazard, explosive hazard but what fun.

2 Likes

I had that option! I do have some rocket engines laying around. But the event location and organizers were unfortunately against it. Ahh well

1 Like

That is awesome! What is the trigger for starting the fan?

Also, make sure that it can fit under the finish gate. I made that mistake, and my initial design would not go under it. (field repairs/destruction to parts of the fan shroud ensued)

Also, I should be able to help on the 13th, unless something comes up. Keep us posted!

1 Like

That makes sense… since 99% of the people want to have fun while only 1% probably are looking to bend the rules for an advantage. I think our pack decided to make them more strict just because the winners were taking their cars to districts (with the pack paying fees) and had to conform with their rules as well.

1 Like

The trigger is just a flip switch, nothing fancy.

I will probably send out another message to everyone who volunteered later in Jan to keep everyone updated.

1 Like