Pine is not allowed thru planer or jointer?

HD for ethics in regards to employees in the pandemic.
Lowes for whitewood 2x4s. Drier (weight is an easy way to tell for 2x4s) and fewer imperfections.

1 Like

Honestly just because how the stores laid out I always go to Home Depot, and like you’re saying all the projects I’ve found myself getting wood from them they’ve all turn out pretty ok but yea I don’t know what it is about the layout of Lowe’s but I just don’t like it compared to HD

Do you feel the same way about Tractor Supply? Sometimes I go there.

So ive gone there for like tools other than woodworking, like I sometimes fill my 02 cylinder there, kinda the same as northern tool, a place I go for when I need or want a kinda niche tool but want it to be a little better quality that harbor freight, lol best advice my grandpa gave me, always buy cheap tools first, and you’ll know the ones you need to buy quality ones of by the ones that get worn down quickest

where else? Ace? Harbor Freight? Kroger has some tools.

2 Likes

Ironic, as I have also always suggested buying the first tool at Harbor Freight, as there is no point in investing a lot of money in a tool that you don’t end up using as much as you think you will.

When (and if) the Harbor Freight tool fails, then consider if it needs to be replaced with a better brand. However, I’ve noticed Harbor Freight tools are getting better and better in quality, and they are also not as cheap (price) as they once were.

1 Like

Yea it makes sense, cause there no need to go out and buy tools that are the quality to withstand the wear and tear if they’re rarely getting used but the ones you use a lot should always be the highest quality your budget allows! Yea I mean people crap on harbor freight but there stuffs not terrible, and for occasional use stuff the price is pretty nice, also their return policy if something does break is like 6 months no questions asked with receipt I think so can’t really beat that

Actually, many of their hand tools have a lifetime warranty. I had a socket set, in one of those plastic clam shell cases, that got wet in a flood, and many of the tools rusted.

They replaced the entire set with a new one. They did ask “What Happened” more from curiosity I suspect, then anything else, but they gave me to grief or pushback on it.

Reminder: Today a member was kindly reminded no southern yellow pine unless kiln dried on the jointer and planer. We just finished the final rotation on the planer blades and filmed it. I should have the raw footage compiled down into 2-3 minutes of usable footage to overdub.

I will be adding some vinyl lettering to the top of both machines, that says “No Southern Yellow Pine*”
thankyou.

6 Likes

9 Likes

put $4 into the kitty for creative arts for the usage of scrap black vinyl but good transfer (all of the letters was ~6 inches, so C.A. got a premium :wink:

4 Likes