PigSig tools and such to vote on

Discussion items for next Machine shop committee meeting.
The PigSig is under the machine shop and thus any funding must come from the committee. This can/will total enough that it warrents a vote. I’ve listed the item, an approximate cost, and a justification for the purchase where I know it. Common tools already exist in the machine shop for our use and are not duplicated here. I’ll give more detail the following discussion and am happy to answer what ever questions you have. cheers!

ITEM APPROX PRICE JUSTIFICATION
Dremel $70.00 softening edges. Kydex shaping
Kevlar or heat resistant gloves $15.00 for bending acrylics
1/4” to 1/8” collet adapter x 2 $18.00 for the CNC
Adjustable Squares / triangles ??
5” tall block ?? so that acrlyic sits level with bender
Bending jig ?? can be built
Dust collection hoses x 2 $60.00 cnc and saws
4” to 2-1/2” reducers x 2 $16.00
2-3 way dust collector junction with blast gates x 2 $???
propane torch kit $24.00 for flaming the edges of acrylics
Heat gun $0.00 donation
Toaster Oven $80.00 various uses
Kydex Press $120.00 can be built
6 Likes

@TBJK please add this or something similar to the committe agenda.

Here is some additional information on the items for discussion. Feel free to add to the list so we can do a line item vote or just one total:

1. Dremel kit: Basic grinding to shape. Especially in the creation of Kydex sheaths and holsters. While other committees already have this or something similar, it’s a good bet they might object to us clogging their units with plastics.
  2. Kevlar or heat gloves: We should have at least one pair available. We can say that people should bring their own unless they want to use our nasty ones.
  3. 1/4” to 1/8” collet reducer: We’ve got a DeWalt router for the cnc but I can’t spot an 1/8” collet for it so the reducer will allow us to use smaller endmills for detail work.
  4. Adjustable square: Needed to help score or mark where bends will go. The machine shop does have some we can use.
  5. 5” tall block: This is intended for use with the acrylic bender to hold the workpiece level with the top of the heating element. It can certainly be built we just need the material for it and for someone to make it.
  6. Bending Jig: another item for use with the acrylic bender. This can be built in-house with some wood and hinges. Just need the materials.
  7. Dust collection hoses: at minimum we need 2 – one for the CNC and one that can be shared with the table saw and bandsaw.
  8. 4” to 2.5” reducers: DITTO
  9. 2-3 way dust collector junction with blast gates: So that we can share the dust collection
  10. Propane torch kit: Head and bottle. This is the best way to do the edges on acrylic. Other committees have one and might lend it if we help with the bottles.
  11. Heat Gun: I’ve got one I’m donating.
  12. Toaster Oven: We’ve got the one from powder coat and nasty doesn’t come close to describing it. It would have multiple uses. If we can use the vacuum form heater as a way to soften the plastic this may not be necessary but someone has to clean the current one.
  13. Kydex press: Like the name implies this is to press and mold the kydex. It is not difficult to build but we need the materials and someone has to do the work. Keep in mind we have a zero success rate with group projects.
5 Likes

I think we should look at a foredom or similar more commercial rotary tool than a dremel

3 Likes

We have a box of hoses in woodshop you’re welcome to look through. 5” through 1.5” vacuum hoses

2 Likes

Thank you. That’s very generous of you

We already voted yes to dust collection parts so if we need anything we can’t get from woodshops stash we should order away.

3 Likes

#9 - scratch the 2-3 way dust collector junction. I didn’t realize the Delta already had two 4" inlets.

#11 - scratch the heat gun. I have put one in the cabinet. It should suffice for now.

#1 - while I do love my Foredom there is about a $200 difference between a Dremel kit and a Foredom not including a hanging stand.

2 Likes

this is basically what I’m looking to make as an accessory for the bender. Basically needs 2’x3’ worth of 1/4" plywood.

4 Likes

this bender idea is fantastic. i would end up using this almost every time i came out no joke.

another thing that i definitely would love to see PIG have is a heat press of sorts. I wind up needing to make flat sheets of recycled plastic on a fairly regular basis and its become a long term mission to source a panini press that doesnt have grill markers on it.

1 Like