PigSig area is coming together

I was in yesterday and finished cleaning and organizing the area.
I commandeered one of the cabinets to store our stuff. We have plenty of Rowmark plastic that was donated and some acrylic. The Romarks should be great for sign making. Some are laserable. Large sheets are under the XXL and the smaller are in the cabinet.

I looked for the heat gun in the other cabinets that I had donated for the PigSig but could not find it. If it got used in construction, I can only assume it is gone for good. We’ll need to get one and create a short tool list of other needs.

Most of all the donated router bits are woodworking based. They are either 2 flute router bits or form bits like Ogee bits, round overs, follower bits. Only a few will have use for plastics. My suggestion is we use the regular endmills from the machine shop. We should see which we want to keep and offer the rest to the woodshop.

The dewalt router on the XXL will only accomodate 1/8" and 1/4" bits. I did not find the 1/8" collet or the handle for the router and we should see about getting both. I have class slides - I just need to create and prove in a silly little project that can be run and I’ll post the class.

12 Likes

Looks awesome. Next time you’re up, shoot me a message. Woodshop has some items that plastics may want.

3 Likes

Cool. It will probably be Saturday when I’m up next. In the mean time @TBJK or @procterc can take any donations for the SIG. Cheers!

3 Likes

I can recommend the Dewalt heat gun in the ELab. It has seen a lot of use by various committees and has held up well. Will definitely outlast those $30-40 cheapos.

Recommend getting the kit w/ case -
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D26960K-Heavy-Duty-Display/dp/B007X2ATZE

1 Like

Those additional attachments would be perfect for helping to bend the plastics

The Temp display/control is a critical feature in softening plastics, it’s a pretty narrow range between just becoming pliable, bubbled, or a runny mess.

2 Likes

It looks so great! I’m so impressed with how it’s coming along!

The bandsaw has a belt on it, but it needs to be tightened. It also needs a throat plate for it.

1 Like

You are not wrong but with a little practice you can figure out the right amount of time before bending . It’s more important to keep the work piece moving (or the heat source) until it just starts to sag on its own and then you’re ready to bend. Too much heat for too long and acrylic will bubble. We’ll all learn together. Cheers!

random thought: if we ever have a pot luck - the food for the PigSig will be…wait for it…
PIGS IN A BLANKET!

3 Likes