PCB Milling​​​​​

http://carbide3d.com/blog/2017/introducing-carbide-copper/?utm_source=drip&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=copper-launch

I have not tried it.

They claim it works for any CNC milling machine including the ShapeOko.

2 Likes

Interesting. Will need to investigate further.
Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Do we have a copper clad board and a design to try? Would be happy to try it on the Shapeoko.

1 Like

My husband Greg is coming up there on Saturday or Sunday and is probably going to try to etch the copper clad board.

@artg_dms, if we need a tooling and materials kit for the rebuilt PCB mill in the E-Lab they have a package …

1 Like

We do have copper clad brds. Some are thicker brds w/ hvy clad. Have some “normal” brds w/ stndrd clad. Some are irregular in shape -not square/rectangular. Mixed batch, but good for testing etc. Can trim on band saw.

Let me know next time you’re at DMS and I’ll show you where they are.

2 Likes

I suspect they can also be trimmed while they are on the ShapeOko. :wink:

Probably - as long as you some way to firmly hold it and some kind of sacrificial board under it.

General comments on the ELab pcb mill:

I do not plan on buying a large assortment of mills, drill, etc. for the pcb mill. It’s use will most likely be restricted to making pc boards. Use the ShapeOko for everything else. There has also been some discussion on having members bring their own end mills to make their pc boards. This would discourage the “curious” from tearing up tooling and the mill.

Details on tooling and pcb mill use will be discussed in a future Electronics Committee Mtng. If enough people are interested, we can look into forming a pcb mill sig or team.

1 Like

We have a bunch of Dremel engraving bits that were donated; might be just the thing for PCB’s.

They are 3/32" shaft size.

We have an ER11 collet now for that size.

4 Likes

I left a few bits recently purchased to test out PCB milling.
They are in a small clear baggie in the toolbox, they have a blue rubber tip over
the tip.
I tested a couple, broke a couple… they’re super sharp but watch the speed and depth.
Was cutting into .9mm single sided PCB at a depth of .3mm and that was perfect.
That was just enough to clear off the copper and not leave a huge valley in the PCB.
I ran my test 3 different times and broke maybe .3 or .4mm off the tip of the bits.
Speed im assuming was the culprit… I don’t remember exactly at what speed
I set it to, but it wasn’t covering much area.
So, if anyone wants to use them, have at it! I left them there for people to try out.
Going to order some different ones to try, I still have maybe 15 of those left if someone
finds a use for them. Just let me know and I’ll leave some more up there.

6 Likes