Pate Swap Meet anyone?

If you can’t fix it, the engineer won??

2 Likes

Honestly don’t know on that front, but probably. I was referring more to the Python-esque history/name/ownership changes.
Daimler…German? Nope. Bought the rights from Gottlieb Daimler AND Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft, both of Germany. Ah. So an independent company? Well…yeeeees…but bought by BSA (Birmingham Small Arms). Ah. So a firearms manufacturer? Well…yeeeeees…but not at the time. At the time they were making automobiles (as Lanchester Motor Company), motorbikes (amusingly, as BSA), bicycles (as Eadie Manufacturing and/or Sturmey Archer, I think…), bicycle parts (or was that sold off to Raleigh by this time?), ammunition (Birmingham Metal and Munitions Company Limited, part of the Nobel-Dynamite Trust, aka Kynoch aka ICI…)…but not “small arms”, necessarily, per se, except as Sparkbrook Royal Small Arms Factory and/or Lee-Enfield, oh wait, but that fell through, I think…)…
Whew. Head swimming. Not unlike Mini, MG, Triumph, Austin, Morris, British Leyland, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, Land/Range Rover (not to be confused with “Rover”), Bentley and other “British” car marques. Oh, wait, but Mini is now German (BMW owns), MG and Austin now Chinese ( Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation owns), Rolls Royce is German ( BMW owns), Bentley is German, too (VW owns)…

2 Likes

1939 Chrysler. Really nice details in the coachwork (that’s bodywork for you yutes). Sadly it has the shittiest American aftermarket wheels of the 80’s on it.

2 Likes

Why do people do that

1 Like

Because they can in this country…those wheels (wheels with oblong bolt holes so that they fit many wheel bolt circles) would never pass the German TÜV.
This isn’t Germany which is a good thing for us gearheads, especially those of us that enjoy older transportation i.e. before airbags, or disc brakes, or check engine lights, or windows that wind up or down.

1 Like

Automotive engineers and many worthless mechanical engineers may enjoy a temporary sense of ‘victory’ of some sort but that is often short lived by the product owners and mechanics (not software - that is a different topic) that will overcome the engineers’ design flaws. This happens everyday - in many markets.

1 Like

rant

Having been on the other side of this as a product design EE, it’s rarely malice or stupidity* - on the engineer’s part at least.

For sports cars it has always been performance. Maintenance isn’t even a concern. If it’s serviceable it’s either an accident, or someone snuck the feature in.

For consumer items these days it’s manufacturability and really as it pertains to cost. Consumers as a group rarely care about repair. That seems to be changing somewhat, but it’s still not commercially significant. That super slim phone that’s impossible to repair is glued together because it’s cheaper, not so you can’t fix it (unless it’s an apple product - and even then a lot of the annoyances are driven by security concerns.)

I’ve worked on a number of military and industrial projects where serviceability was a real requirement (and several where only lip service was paid.) Maintenance consideration often has an impact on initial purchase cost, but I’ve never seen it do anything but reduce cost over the life of the item.

/rant

* see Hanlon's razor - Wikipedia

1 Like

Hey @TLAR I wanted to say thanks for posting this, I went with my son and it was a great way to spend Saturday morning. The weather was great for it and we had a blast walking around.

3 Likes

You’re welcome!

Did anything you find end up going home with you?

We went Thursday, i had thought of going back on Saturday but work got in the way. (Self employment can be over rated at times).

1 Like

Unfortunately not, I mainly wanted to go just to check it out and see some prices for cars. There was a portable band saw that I’m kicking myself for not checking out though

1 Like

Probably not the same one, ya reckon?

2 Likes

Highly doubt it is the bucket of fook that was in Texas last year!

Pate is a few weeks away!

1 Like