Parks Pantry Usage from January 2017 to October 2017

Hey Everyone,

I was tasked at the last board meeting to evaluate our Parks Pantry Micro Market Usage and make suggestions for moving forward. A quick thanks to @FrenchFrog for building the graph and helping with the excel data.

Below is a graph of top 11 categories of items sold at the DMS Micro Market from Jan-2017 to Oct-2017:
(The vertical axis is quantity sold and the horizontal axis is the time period of the sales.)

Assumption made in the graph:

• We combined the categories of Energy Drinks and Energy Shots in to Energy Items
  • We combined all categories with Fresh in the title under Fresh Food
  • We combined Frozen and Refrigerated Non-Fresh Items under Refrigerated Non-Fresh Items
  • We combined Juice and Non-Carbonated Items under Non-Carbonated Items

The large decline in October is due to the sales tally being pulled before the end of the month.

Here are the exact tallies for the graph:

Excluding October due to partial information we as a group purchased $49,174.62 worth of food in our Micro Market from January to September in 2017. This averages out to $5463.85 per month.

Beverages are our most purchased items by far, taking the top 3 categories sold and 5 of the top 11 categories. In talking to others in the industry this is common to all vending and micro markets.

Notice in our data we have 2 categories for Soda, 20 oz. Bottle and 12 oz. Can. These 2 categories when combined make for nearly 1/3 of all items sold in our Micro Market.

As I continue to gather information I had one question from the data,

What is your deciding factor for purchasing a 12 oz Can of Soda or a 20 oz Bottle of Soda?

• I buy canned sodas only when the bottled soda is unavailable
  • I buy bottled soda only when the canned soda is unavailable
  • I buy canned soda because the price point is lower
  • I buy bottled soda because they are cheaper per oz
  • I buy bottled soda because I want the bottle
  • I buy canned soda because I want the can
  • I buy canned sodas for a reason not listed
  • I buy bottled sodas for a reason unlisted

0 voters

2 Likes

I buy bottles because they are harder to spill, and stay carbonated longer.

6 Likes

Same. If I’m working on a project, I much prefer any drinks I have to have a lid I can close.

1 Like

I second this. One of the reasons. The second is I will buy can if there are no bottles.

There is a downfall to plastic bottles though. If they are cold, then get warm, then cold again. They will go flat.

1 Like

I buy cans because 12 oz is all I usually want…the other 4 -8 ounces typically go to waste if I buy a larger size.

Unamerican… :blankspace:

1 Like

Am I understanding, then the numbers of sales here are in dollars?
Can we have raw number (units) sold, as well, or instead, so we can compare how rising prices affect number of units sold, as juxtaposed to dollars? This seems important, to me, when judging popularity and/or “worthiness”.
Good charts/numbers, etc. otherwise.

1 Like

I make substantial effort to avoid using Parks, both at DMS and now at my place of employment.

The prices are absurd.

2 Likes

The graph shows only the amount of items sold during each month not the dollar value.

I don’t have access to that exact information. But last year, 2016 we sold a total dollar figure of $58,709.09. We are withing $10,000 of that figure by the end of September 2017 and are averaging $5463.85 per month. So we will probably be a bit higher in dollars sold by the end of this year. So either we have gone up in sales or the sales are nearly the same with a bit more profit on them.

I know the feeling, but to be honest in talking with other vendors, Parks Pantry’s pricing is about market standard for a Micro Market like ours. Considering we do not have a lock in contract I found this information surprising. That said it, we are considered a successful market in the industry with our sales history. I hope to get us options from both Parks and other vendors for a possible small decrease in pricing. I’m already in talks on this, so please don’t start calling for more quotes as we already have communications with many vendors in the area.

2 Likes

OK. Now I think I’m closer to understanding. The numbers in the graphs/charts ARE number of units. The dollar amounts are not depicted on the charts, but their totals are part of your narrative. In other words, April 2017 moved 584 units of 20oz. soda, which contributed an unknown dollar amount to the total of $49,174.62 for January-November 2017. We have no numbers of any sort for historical reference except the $58,709.09 total sales in 2016.
I think I’ve got it, now.
Thank you!

1 Like

Yep,

You have it. As of last year’s sales I only have the total value and total number of items sold. I don’t have data as to the income based on each item or category. As for 2017, I only have the quantity sold per item and the total cash sales for the month. I gave this as categories, because it told the story of our use in easy to understand terms.

Our top 4 selling items in the Micro Market are 20 oz Coca Cola, 20 oz Dr Pepper, 12 oz Coca Cola, 12 oz Dr Pepper. Come to find out, we are special in this as Dr Pepper in our region tends to be number one with some margin over Coca Cola, but we trend with Coca Cola on top by just a bit over Dr Pepper. So consider that a challenge you DP drinkers. :nerd_face:

Sorry I’m a little behind on my quota. I have slowed down on the drinking of it.

1 Like