Paper towels/automotive donations

I left a large tub of the blue paper towels in automotive on the 25th as a donation, now they’re gone. Those are supposed to go to stay in the automotive space.

On that note, when we leave donations should that be documented somewhere, or just noted on Talk?

2 Likes

Donations are required to be accepted by a committee chair or director. Tax docs can be acquired, if desired, from the accepting party, who is then responsible for the use/distribution/disposal.

While I have no first-hand knowledge of what transpired in this case, I can say that attempting to keep a resource like paper towels in one committee area will likely be disappointing, at best. Per natural law, a dearth of a coveted resource in one place will inevitably create enough of a vacuum to find a surplus in another and equalize said resource. But we can try to reduce the rate by e.g. asking nicely, advising sternly, threatening menacingly, or placing the resource under lock & key. All have their upsides and downsides, but in the end, members are people. People who need paper towel.

Thank you for thinking of us & taking that action.

4 Likes

I took them and put them up, I wasn’t sure if they were a donation or not so I put them aside until I found out. Once the current towels are all used up in the dispenser, they will go into it.

Thank You for your donation.

Sam
DMS Automotive Chairman

7 Likes

those things go so fast. thx blue for the new supply.

2 Likes

I also want to say thank you for the towls. I agreed with Sam. There was no point in having 2 packages of towls open. For Donations if a chair is not there how can you give donations, if your there for just an hour or 2?

Sam: what happened to the large box of spare nuts and bolts? They always come in handy.

1 Like

I’d think that donations of blue towels, blue tape or #10 sockets wouldn’t draw the ire of any committee chair even without prior approval.

4 Likes

ok cool, your welcome

1 Like

I have no idea what you’re referring to. I have no idea who you are. I think you misconstrued the question of my gesture. Do you use the automotive department? Im thinking no.

Its probably not frowned upon bc we who use automotive are asked to donate items of consumption like gloves, paper towels, or degreaser because it gets used up quickly. And its also nice to leave any left over cans of brake cleaner or WD 40 for the next person who uses the bay and may have forgotten something.

Andrew is inferring on the donation policy. Generally speaking, you don’t just donate something without the approval of the chair of the committee.

For reference we have had people want to donate 20ft 3d printers, drill presses & other equipment. If we didn’t have these rules, the space would overly hoarded with shit. This isn’t as big of a deal with small consumable items.

1 Like

And likewise on that, we usually require that donations are handed off directly to the chair so that there’s a chain of custody. That way things don’t accidentally walk off in between.

As mentioned in the thread though, things like paper towels and such get used so quickly and are such a staple item that it’s not one of those things you need to mark as a donation, but also don’t be upset if they walk off into a different committee area if the chair does not accept the donation directly.

1 Like