Paper Shear/Gullotine in Printmaking area

I want cut some pre-made paper pads in half. These are the type that have a pasteboard reinforcement strip along the top. The reinforcement results in a non-unform thickness. My plan is to stack two facing each other which will result in equal thickness at the ends and should clamp reliably.

Is this reasonable, and can I use it in this way?

Sounds fine to me. Especially since that’s one of the “chop your finger off” types, it should handle that with no problem. I would expect that the turned stacking would keep the pressure even, so that your objects don’t shift.

No special approval/training required though?

Actually I do think that they want to approve folks. I’ll check with Capt when he gets back. For that matter, I’m moderately sure that he could check you off. And, we’re here most of the time. Unless, of course, you need us.

Yes, there is an approval/check out system for use of the paper cutter. It has a padlock on it to prevent use unless authorized, but Captain can both unlock it and approve usage.

If I am correct in interpreting that you want to make one pad into two half as wide, maybe sandwich it between two pieces of wood and use a bandsaw?

I’ve done this in the past and it leaves a really ragged edge that makes the sheets stick together. It’s hard to find a blade with a fine enough pitch

1 Like

Laser?

Though that leaves a burnt edge…

I’ll be very surprised if it’s not a bon fire hazard

1 Like