Paper Making Class

I’m relatively new to DMS and I’ve mostly been in the ceramics section of the building. I was wanting to maybe host a recycled paper making class and was wondering if someone could help me figure out where the best place to hold it would be?
There’s quite a bit of water involved so I didn’t want to just pick a random classroom.

3 Likes

Room you go through from the Commons to the North area is supposed to be converted into a “Wet Classroom” - you may see the sinks etc. I’m not real sure what the status is.

Your class sounds awesome I’m sure a lot of people will want to take part in it. Thanks for wanting share your knowledge and creativity!

Anybody know what the exact status of that room is or when it’ll be ready?

1 Like

The wet classroom is not in service yet; the donated sink has not been connected yet.

1 Like

I used to make custom paper for various reasons. I would shred the recycled paper, then soak it in a distilled water bath, then put it in a blender and blend it to the pulp size I wanted and finally put it on a deckle that I made from door screen and wood. Then I would flip it onto a smooth or textured cloth depending upon my desired finish and let it dry. You can, of course, dye the paper or trim it according to your taste. The quality of the recycled paper used determines in a big way the final product quality though. The fun is in experimenting with it. The cost is almost free and it can be a lot of fun to make your own paper. Making a lot of it is definitely impractical though.

It was a lot of fun and I enjoyed experimenting with the process. I’ve made notebooks, special greeting cards etc from the paper.

I would love to see you teach a class.

That’s basically how I’ve been doing. I like to use mica powders to dye it and get a lot of pastel colors that way.

I have kind of combined the pour over method with the water in a container method so that I’m not splashing a ton of water around but still get relatively thin sheets compared to the thicker sheets with the straight up pour over method.

But I figured it’s a fun simple little craft that people can use for card making (what I do!) or for scrapbooking.

And like you said definitely cheap to achieve!

BTW: I teach blacksmithing at DMS when our induction forge is working, which it isn’t right now. I can also recommend Kelly Kring’s classes at Brookhaven College, I’ve completed his basic course and I’m taking his intermediate class now.

https://ceschedule.dallascollege.edu/FALL/Instructor/0017174

Blacksmithing is a lot of fun. Reasonably costly to get started but not so much after you go the basic tools like a forge, an anvil and several tongs and hammers.

@MrsMoose did a paper making class a few years ago. 5" x 7" size. The class was in the Purple Classroom (not sure what it is called these days). Water was in a jug. And trays were carried to a sink to be emptied. Really was not an issue. Please, don’t let the lack of immediate water access in the classroom stop you from teaching the class.

1 Like

Yes but … it’s about 10 feet away from a real sink so it’s still the classroom closest to water. And it has a hard (non-carpet) floor.

1 Like

So would it be okay for me to use it? I don’t really need the sink I just don’t want to be in a carpeted area.

Yes - when you add your class offering you get to select what room & tools you are going to use. The only reason you should not get the room is if it is already booked.

EDIT: OK - just saw you are talking about the “Wet” classroom & not the Purple classroom…

Other general information about adding classes can be found here: Class FAQs - Dallas Makerspace

1 Like

I have a printshop and have accumulated a lot of cotton paper scraps I would love to donate to a papermaking class! Or if there is someone interested in papermaking who is looking for scraps, feel free to contact me.

5 Likes

I’d love to take them off your hands!! Just let me know whenever you’re going to be at the space!

Where are the scraps? Maybe I could pick some up?

In Southlake–on the edge of grapevine, really. Email me at ashlie@wearevolk for exact location and time setup if you’d like to pick them up.

How many would you use? I have quite a bit and am constantly adding to the supply, so I’m happy to give you as much/little as you would use or have room for at the time. I was there last night, but didn’t think to bring any. I’ll let you know when I’ll be up next!

The Clas FAQs links to the Rooms Guide, which tells you what’s suitable for messy projects, and the room size/configuration.

I’ve just updated it because the Orange Classroom never materialized and was allocated instead to the new Animatronics committee.

2 Likes