Painting miniatures to look like stone

I need to paint a small object about the size of a chick pea to look like an old stone sculpture. If anyone has suggestions about products, colors, or techniques I’d love to hear them. Airbrush, paint brush, rattle can, whatever … it’s all fair game.

Thanks!

EDIT: Clarification. Object is a resin print. I plan to prime it before painting.

I would prime black, heavy drybrush with grey, and a light drybrush with a light grey

3 Likes

I have never tried them and have not looked at spray paint in years, but there were specialty cans at WalMart which were supposed to give different textures other than the usual gloss, matte and flat.

1 Like

Check out Nerdforge on Youtube.

Martina does a lot of dioramas of castles and stone work, so she is got some really, really good techniques on exactly what you’re looking for.

Check out the videos and what she’s doing, that might give you a good starting point to start practicing with.

2 Likes

@John_Marlow not an expert by any means. But here’s a pic of a rat I did several years ago with stones on the ground. I belive after priming I used stone colored paint on the rocks and white on the skull. Then used a black wash or inking all over everything, and then maybe some dry brush highlights. Not the best or worst, but it worked for me.

Also does anyone ever get together to paint miniatures as a group and hangout? What area would this be done in if we wanted to schedule something like that?

1 Like