Owl Nesting Boxes

Continuing the discussion from Show and Tell February 2022:

@Scott_Blevins:

– How did these screech owl nesting boxes work out? Did they attract any tenants?

– Did you do anything to attract tenants? If so what? Zillow?

– Did you Vcarve the pieces for repeatability or just cut from a mental picture or cut list?

Where I am heading is maybe a day where interested members can get together and assembly line as many as wanted.

Hell…might even make for a general “public good” and/or “DMS Brand Awareness/Goodwill” project day. Put them up in a bunch of places (where wanted and legal) in the area or wherever. Or have ready-to-assemble kits available up front for donations.

Does having owls around have any downsides?

2 Likes

Inquiring minds want to know!

3 Likes

Bat houses are great for flying insect control - pretty simple to make also.

1 Like

Here’s at least one write-up:

1 Like

Any raptor taking up residence is going to piss off other birds, but if you want rats, snakes, lizards, gone, they’re your best friend. Note: don’t put out rat poison nearby, as the owls will eat the dead rats, and entire owl families can (and do) die after consuming one tainted rat carcass. Owls are the more ‘organic’ solution, and one that I far prefer, over poison.

1 Like

One article I read said that is not a really big problem and you can have bird feeders also. Most birds that use the feeder are “Day Birds” and owls hunt at night. So if they are in by the time street lights come on, they shouldn’t get into trouble.

But they are great for other problem small animals.

1 Like

Yep, agreed. There are plenty of birds out there, and if 1 or 2 become owl food, I’m not concerned. The benefits far outweigh the negatives. And yes, bird feeders will still attract birds to your home.

1 Like

The article said one other important thing to attract owls: A deep bird bath, from the picture it looked like about 4" or so of water depth. Helps other birds also.

@Mrholthaus maybe you could have a metal forming “Beat to Shape” classes and make some DIY bird baths!

1 Like

Could this be a Multicam community project for the cutting process? Or are you wanting to manually cut and drill a few hundred of these?

1 Like

Multicam would definitely be a good way to go.

1 Like

We are building a Multicam program to support community projects for DMS and other local non-profits. We have many awesome and highly skilled members ready to provide support services such as CAD, CAM and production runs.

Just let us know how we can help you achieve your goals.

1 Like