Overnight Mountings

I need to come up with an engagement ring and have been toying with the idea of having a semi mount cast by OvernightMountings.com. Does anybody have any experience with them? I’ve already got a stone from my mom, so once I have the ring, it should be just a matter of setting the center.

I can also have them channel-set the side diamonds on the shank, but would be interested in doing it myself I knew somebody at the space who could give some guidance. Just to say I did so really.

https://www.overnightmountings.com/engagement-rings/single-row/channel-set/engagement-rings-single-row-channel-set-50168.html

Thoughts / Comments / "Don’t do that!"s

I’m hesitant to comment on this because I don’t have time to actually help you with this project, but setting those side diamonds yourself and screwing up is going to be an expensive and time consuming mistake, and if you have no diamond setting experience, I can basically guarantee you will break at least one while trying to set it.

Where do you plan on getting the small diamonds, is that actually going to offset the cost any?

And what kind of center stone do you have? What are the dimensions in millimeters and height on the center?

2 Likes

Channel setting is a bit tricky. Do you have any experience setting small stones yet? It’s fairly easy to prong set a center stone, if nerve wracking the first time (first few times). But channel setting, especially on an unsupported shoulder… by preference, even I would want the factory to do it unless there was compelling reason not to. Such as, the diamonds came out of Grandma’s ring and THESE EXACTLY must be set.

Also, have you considered Stuller as a source for your ring? I use them almost exclusively, and much prefer them whenever they have the product.

~David

1 Like

Appreciate everyone’s input. I decided to not do the channel setting based on these comments. I may end up using a peg from Stuller’s catalog, but OM has the mount I settled on. I’ll have the center set locally as well.

JR

1 Like