Out of curiosity: here's a poll

So this is a bit for my curiosity sake but also for future class posting. In my case I typically teach the Embroidery machine. I’m curious as to whether people priotize time or $ for a class. With only 1 embroidery machine, have more than 4 or 5 students means a lot of twiddling thumbs as everyone takes a turn. Alternatively, if the class is purely instructional with no hands on time the total class time could also be kept down while still allowing more students. Thoughts?

• Small class; larger fee; short class time
  • Larger class; smaller fee; longer class time
  • Larger class; smaller fee; shorter class without hands on

0 voters

My personal opinion on this is that the class should have a smaller fee with less hands-on time. Ideally, I would come to the class, listen to the instructor’s lesson, then come back on my own time for hands-on practice. That way, I don’t have to pay more money than I have to.

Rather than answer the poll I’m going to answer in regards to your embroidery class…

It was an excellent class. Just the right length, just the right amount of content, and good pacing. There were five students. For me, whatever it takes to repeat that is the right path.

7 Likes

I have to agree with Brian.

3 Likes

I have taught the embroidery class a couple times as a demo/lecture class and experience shows that no one feels comfortable enough afterwards to actually use the machine. (Same content as the hands-on class, but without the hands-on component). YMMV.

EDIT: As an afterthought … 4-5 students typically means about a two hour class. In my experience, one student means a one hour class. Those are the two bookends. What is your objective? Are you looking to reduce below two hours, or are you seeking to increase the student size without exceeding two hours?

This one, mostly because I think $10 is a bit much for the class. I tend agree on the hands on bit, but I think adding any more students and keeping the hands on within our current limits (1 machine) means too much waiting time and an unnecessarily longer class.

5 posts were split to a new topic: What’s up with the Check Marks on Talk?