Oscilloscope usage

Im seeing if we have a portable oscilloscope I could use to tune my car audio system. I almost got one but id only use it once and feels like a waste of money.

We have some that can be used at the space. I’m curious how you intend to use it to “tune” your car audio, though.

They can use the oscope to measure specific frequencies but an audio spectrum analyzer would be better.

I’m sure there is phone app that can do that.

1 Like

This guy on YouTube explains it better than i would Amplifier Tuning Settings How To - Gain, Crossovers, Bass Boost - YouTube

1 Like

Except that his video doesn’t use an oscilloscope at all.

FWIW, I was circumspect initially because I couldn’t figure out a way to ask for more detail without coming across as condescending or snide. My problem, not yours. The way you asked the question strongly implied a very naive approach to what I thought might be the task. Like most tools, an oscilloscope displays information that requires interpretation to be useful. It’s not something you hook up and it spits out an answer.

If I can develop a more detailed understanding of what you are actually doing I’ll be happy to help. While we don’t need to work to that schedule, as with Electronics Office Hours, I’ll help, but you have to do the work.

I own a lab grade distortion meter, and I believe at least one of the DMS scopes has the FFT option and can act as a decent spectrum analyzer as well as reading THD as a percentage directly. It’s likely a lot more capable than you need. While they are not supposed to leave the space, I’m pretty sure we have extension cords that will reach into a parking space. :wink:

4 Likes

My mistake here is an explanation of what im attempting How to set your Amp gains with the Liumy Oscilloscope Multi Meter - YouTube
Thank you for the help!