Options for Interactive Floor Plan/Inventory

So…
let’s say you had… I dunno, maybe a makerspace somewhere, where it had multiple rooms containing various equipments, ranging from bare-bones podium to full-blown computer labs, with 15 student stations and 1 instructor stations, complete with projectors, document cameras, dvd players, etc. etc. etc. and you wanted to be able to take an image of the floorplan, and “enliven” it so that when a room is clicked, the viewer can see the inventory of things provided in that room, how would you (ideally) do this?
I assume it would be a web page, but I’m open to other ideas.
How would you:

• generate the original content from floor plans and/or database of equipment
  • provide for upkeep
    Purchasable software recommendations would be lovely.
    Other recommendations taken under advisement.
    Would this end up being a “hire a firm to do this” kind of thing? Any ideas on costs? Where to even start to find such a firm? (I don’t know if this will end up being a contract for the project I’m looking into, but it might).

Sample floor plan, shamelessly lifted from one of the conversations here on Talk

I would want to be able to click on the K in the “Lecture Hall” and see what all equipment is provided therein.

Thank you for looking.

PS this has nothing to do with DMS, but if it were to be found to be advantageous to take the advice to heart and implement on our own behalf, that’d be lovely…
EDITED hopefully to enhance clarity

4 Likes

well in theory anyway, the committee portions of the WIKI should contain the tool inventory. But it may not contain everything. As a for instance, all of the major tools for the machine shop are on the wiki. However, we have a cabinet full of measurement tools which are not fully listed. This is an upkeep issue only. Once corrected, you would only have to link to the appropriate page/section of the wiki to get what you’re asking for.
Of course, this only covers committee and not classrooms such as the lecture hall.

1 Like

There are a couple classroom pages on the wiki that list the A/V equipment plus seating capacity etc. ROOMS GUIDE might be the name of one of them.

2 Likes

You could probably achieve it with HTML5, CSS and a lot of spare time :slight_smile:

It would also depend on if you want the room information to be changeable. If its fixed info, then you could just use a popup when the area defined with HTML5 is clicked.

If you want the data to be customized, then you need to store/recall the data used. Thats when it gets fun!

I’m sure there are other ways to do it, i’d probably try this way first.

1 Like

Just for accuracy, in this purely hypothetical discussion, Jewelry is now between Fired Arts and Vector…