OPTIONAL class description template for instructors

Have you ever signed up for a class, but you weren’t really sure what to expect (or you were really surprised that it wasn’t what you expected)? That happens to me all the time, but of course when I write class descriptions, perfect prose springs from my keyboard easily. Ha. NOT.

So, I was thinking about that, and the questions I have as a participant prior to a class. Then I thought about the challenges of writing something that makes it easy for an honorarium auditor to not reject a class. The class description is important for managing the expectations of the participants as well. Maybe an optional template would be useful - kind of like a checklist for what to include in the class description. My objectives would be to:

• Make it easier for instructors to generate class descriptions (which would subsequently go onto the calendar).
  • Write clear class descriptions so participants understand what they will get from the class
  • Identify the important items from both the perspective of the participants and the honorarium auditors.
  • Increase the chances that honorariums will not be rejected.
  • Provide the information that demonstrates this is a learning class and not an event.

I am not in any way suggesting that this would be mandatory. I would like to put it forward and potential instructors can follow it if it’s helpful, follow part of it, or not use it at all.

As always, constructive suggestions are welcome.

Here is the labeling convention I used in the example:

Suggested statement (option / option) – more than one might be appropriate
[Optional statement]
Specific items you would list

Template suggestion:
· Start with the description of your class.
· This class is a (lecture / demonstration / hands-on) class.
· You will learn (safety, equipment controls, how to use the equipment, list of specific skills and techniques including the word SKILLS or TECHNIQUES).
· (No / These) prior skills or knowledge are (necessary / useful) for you to attend this class) [: list of specific skills or knowledge ]
· [During the hands-on portion, you will learn by (performing discrete task-level skills / participating in a group project /completing a project of your own). Briefly describe the project or tasks.]
· [The completed project (will remain at The Space / is yours to take home.]

· (All / list of specific) (tools / supplies / safety equipment) will be provided. [There is a material fee included in this class].
–and/or–
You need to bring list of specific items
–and/or –
If you bring list of specific items it will be useful but is optional.

Here is an example of how I would use the template the next time I teach the Babylock embroidery class:

Learn how to set-up and use the Babylock Embroidery machine.This class is a hands-on class. You will learn machine safety; sewing machine controls and how to use the equipment; and the skills to hoop fabric, transfer design files, thread the machine, and how to stitch the design. After this class you should be comfortable using the machine on your own.

No prior skills or experience are necessary.

During the hands-on portion, you will learn by participating in a group project. We will embroider the DMS logo on a Creative Arts apron. Each attendee will “hoop” the fabric, thread the machine, and stitch part of the design. The completed project will remain at The Space. All tools and supplies will be provided. If you bring a small sharp scissors for trimming thread it will be useful but this is optional.

(I made up this last bit. They don’t really need scissors). :slight_smile:

As an instructor, when I work through this checklist it causes me to think about things I may not have considered and that also improves the quality of the class I will deliver.

8 Likes